This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DECK HEIGHT?

What is the deck height of a 289. Or how far is the piston down in the hole? I found where the compression distance in 1.59375. The rod length is 6.625. Half the stroke is 3.625/2=1.8125.
    These add up to 10.03125. So the deck height should be 10.03125 +/- piston above or below the deck?

Thanks,
    Dwayne

The deck height is 10.065 with some tolerance if I recall correctly. I will take a look at the drawings sometime in the next couple of days.

David L
    David L

Comment

Your calculations are correct. Standard R1 and R2 engines have .019 piston below deck measurement. The R-3 though is .023."

Start and Stage Your Studebakers
      Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

thanks guys, let me know if you find a different measurment Dave...

Dwayne

Comment

Ok I got a chance to look at the deck height. I had said that it was 10.065 with some tolerance. It is in fact 10.065 / 10.060 as it left the factory. Of course many of the engines out there have been surfaced and will be different. If you are having pistons made and want to keep a proper quench area and not risk hitting the head at high RPM then you need to measure your block. Most of the standard pistons don't provide a good quench, they are too far down in the block.

David L
          David L

Comment

Working...
          X