• Show
Clear All

• big bore

I aquired an RS motor to rebuild.
    I saw that Lionel Stone has .93 over pistons
    also read that Ford 300 Six pistons were used at .147 over
    That seams like a long ways to go.
    question is what is the max bore
    I am takeing the block to have ultrasound thickness of the bore before I start running down parts.
    Thanks

steve strait

The cursed purple hawk has the Ford 300-6, pistons in it's engine. They were a set of Eaton forged pistons and we didn't have to replace them on the "new" engine tear down. I would like to find another set of them (forged) but couldn't when we last looked.

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I've got an R3 block here that Lionel Stone had engineered into a "Big bore" quite some years ago. What was used were AMC 304 slugs. These are 3&3/4" in diameter and work out to about 321cu.in. The engine ran good until it's cam broke (likely because a tooth on one of th gears folded over!) One of these days I'm gonna get it back together and see how it runs. While I'd heard it run before it broke, I never got a chance to drive it. And besides, it was serving duty in a 3ton truck at the time![:0]
      To use the AMC slugs, they had to be decked about a 16th of an inch and the small end of the Stude rods had to be reworked to use the piston's bigger pins. Pinch bolts were totally done away with. BTW, this engine served long and hard in that truck before the cam gear gave out.[^] If you were gonna go this route - it would be advisable to have the block tested ultrasonically to check for block core shift. Going to 3&3/4" takes quite a swath of meat out and you wouldn't want to have the walls too thin in places![:0]

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
        any sugestions for a cup top piston
        as I would like to put the blower back on.

steve strait

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sshawk

Thanks for the info.
          any sugestions for a cup top piston
          as I would like to put the blower back on.

steve strait
          That's gonna be a tough one Steve. Normally when they get popped out to that big, everybody's lookin' for high compression. There's a fella looking at a LOT of pistons to use in our Stude engines, but I don't think he was considering cupped, but we can check with him about cupped.

Sonny
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
          X