Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 spd/OD Champ ( It's Home!! New Pictures Added )

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 spd/OD Champ ( It's Home!! New Pictures Added )

All last week I felt pretty much sick over losing the 5spd/OD Champ at the last minute on ebay. Well, I got an email from the owner yesterday that the "buyer" had bailed. I overnighted the money this morning and got the deal done after all. Pretty cool, huh?

steve blake

Your "stars" must be in alignment, Steve! Congratulations!

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd say so, Bob. Of course, my wife has a different term for it..LOL.
      But, now I'm going to have to get you to teach me the "ins" and "outs" of shifting this thing. For instance, is it necessary to start out in "low" without a load?

steve blake
      steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
      http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Way to go Steve!!!!! And no I almost never use 1st or low gear. I have the same tranny in my green one ton and its a great tranny. I am still on the hunt for one for my 8E28A.

Again congrats and I hope you enjoy your new Champ!

Comment

Yeah - 1st gear is for pulling half-buried Studes out of swampy bogs! [:0] So just think how thrilled Marla will be that you can save even more of them!
          I've literally tow-barred a 57 Stude President to the back of my 5spd Champ - eased the clutch out in low - got out of the truck and went round to push at the rear of the President while the mud 'n snow tires of the Champ churned away! Once me and the Champ had the President out of the "waller" it had sunk into, I trotted back up, jumped in the cab and finished towing the President home. [}]

As Charlie says - for all daily driving, second gear starts are the norm. [^] If it's got a HD clutch like mine did, watch your clutch linkage closely! The HD clutch played hell [}] with the 8E clutch linkage![xx(] That 5spd is a BEAST of a tranny! WAY overrated for a pickup's needs![:0]

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, Bob, I don't trust my "trotting" skills quite to that extent!<g>
            Besides, we don't have any bogs here!! Of course, I'm always game for a road trip.

steve blake

Comment

quote:Originally posted by arkiejazz

All last week I felt pretty much sick over losing the 5spd/OD Champ at the last minute on ebay. Well, I got an email from the owner yesterday that the "buyer" had bailed. I overnighted the money this morning and got the deal done after all. Pretty cool, huh?

steve blake
              Congratulations Steve! Ah, nothing comes close to the feeling of getting the keys to another Studebaker, (Especially if it's roadworthy! ) In fact, now that I think about it, I'll take 'em any way I can get 'em! [] I hope you have many moons of great times in your new truck, and hope we get to see what it looks like!

Sonny
              Sonny
              http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

That is great Steve. You will love that Trans. It is great for a truck that is used as a truck.They do have a reputation of being noisy. The one I have in the one ton I used synthetic lube and it does not make any noise and it shifts great.The shift pattern is a little strange but once you are used to it it is not a problem.
                You won't be starting out in 1st normally. When I had the 5:13 gears in my one ton I normally started out in 3rd. Now I have a 4:10 gears and start out in 2nd.
                If your 5 speed is a little hard shifting or hard to find gears ther are 2 little nylon inserts on the shift fork that were out but are easy to replace SASCO still has them.

Jerry (studeblu)
                64 E13 Transtar
                53 Coupe
                53 2R6 pickup
                Jerry (studeblu)
                37 Coupe Express project
                59 Pick up driver
                40 President sedan driver

Comment

Yup, guys, I'm excited to get the new Champ home. Seems sort of odd that it's just a 1/2 ton, but I'm not complaining. I'm glad it didn't get here yesterday though. We had 14" of snow. Bright blue skies today , so maybe it won't stay on the ground long. My 1-ton is also a 5 spd/OD, but I never drove it much, and it's been in a state of restoration ever since I bought it from Naugle all those years ago. So, it's going to be nice to get this one home and drive it and use it. I'll post some pictures as soon as Diamond Express gets here with it. I plan to use it for awhile before I start to spruce it up. I'll have to get rid of something to make room. Most likely "victim" would be the automatic blue "POS" Champ that I'm in the process of installing another engine(provided by Mr.Biggs).
                  I don't know, I say that, and then I always get cold feet about selling any Stude truck. Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when Marla finds out I bought this new Champ..."shhhhhhhhhhh"....that's what she gets for going off to Arkansas for spring break without me, right?<g>

steve blake

Comment

You's a BRAVE MAN, Steve![:0]

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Well, I have to fess up. I'm actually safe. As long as I adhere to the "no more dump trucks" edict.

steve blake

Comment

I'll post new pictures when it arrives, but for now , here are the ones that were on Ebay:

steve blake

Comment

OH MY GOSH!! It's going to be delivered today!!!

steve blake

Comment

That truck looks like a winner! Kevin

1963 Champ

Comment

Finally got a chance to go for a longer drive today and "find" overdrive. Tried first gear(low) too!! My gosh, I can't imagine ever needing that gear around here. It's more like "great-granny" low.
                              I still have to look at the shift pattern to shift it. I think if I ever master this that it would be a piece of cake to get my CDL !!!

steve blake

Comment

Working...
                              X