PDA

View Full Version : '62 Hawk brakes

johnesmonde
03-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Another update. Turner disc brake kit went in smooth. I decided to change the M/C to a dual reservoir type since I was taking it out anyway. Ordered the bracket from Jim Turner and sourced the Jeep M/C which was the best kit from a Canadian supplier for $107 Canadian. I'm happy as can be. I can get Bronco 2 rims from the wreckers reasonably and use the Stude wheel disks but does anyone know of any Ford or Mopar wheels that would be a nice upgrade and reasonable to dress it up?(15 - 6, 41/2 on 5) I have the rad and shroud out and am replacing a few gaskets to fix minor oil leaks. The block had been painted black but most came off when power washed revealing blue. Is the blue the correct colour? Rockers are yellow and mint. Should the fan be orange? May as well look after these details while I'm at it. The car has 3 gas line filters, one back by the tank, one between the carb and fuel pump and one before the fuel pump. I assume this is overkill, which should I keep?
Thanks,
John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

N8N
03-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Most Ford, MoPar, AMC RWD wheels will fit but don't go too wide. I know Avanti IIs used 15" Magnum 500s, those are a nice looking wheel if you can find a set (also used by Ford I think.) I've seen MoPar rallyes too but I'm not nuts about the look. A lot of AMC wheels look nice on a Stude but they are getting hard to find.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Sonny
03-14-2005, 07:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by johnesmonde

Another update. Turner disc brake kit went in smooth. I decided to change the M/C to a dual reservoir type since I was taking it out anyway. Ordered the bracket from Jim Turner and sourced the Jeep M/C which was the best kit from a Canadian supplier for $107 Canadian. I'm happy as can be. I can get Bronco 2 rims from the wreckers reasonably and use the Stude wheel disks but does anyone know of any Ford or Mopar wheels that would be a nice upgrade and reasonable to dress it up?(15 - 6, 41/2 on 5) I have the rad and shroud out and am replacing a few gaskets to fix minor oil leaks. The block had been painted black but most came off when power washed revealing blue. Is the blue the correct colour? Rockers are yellow and mint. Should the fan be orange? May as well look after these details while I'm at it. The car has 3 gas line filters, one back by the tank, one between the carb and fuel pump and one before the fuel pump. I assume this is overkill, which should I keep?
Thanks,
John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

Yes, the block should be black, the fan should be orange and three filters is bizarre. [:p] If someone needed 3 filters it means the tank should have been dropped, cleaned and sealed John, that's the right way to do it. It gets one, in-line fuel filter just before the carb.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

johnesmonde
03-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks Nate, I'll see what I can find for wheels. Sonny, I don't know how to explain the black over blue on the block if it should originally be black. The black that is left at the top is fairly shiny wheras the blue is in good shape but seems a bit faded. I'll examine it more closely. Thanks.
John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

Roscomacaw
03-15-2005, 10:00 AM
The only explanation for the blue is that someone (maybe a jobber) rebuilt the engine along the way and painted it whatever they cared to. Are you sure it's the original engine[?]
It should be black with an orange fan and oil dipstick. The valve covers should be John Deere yellow (at least, it's close enough in color and easy to get from parts stores) Earlier V8s were different colors BTW, but never blue.:( Oops! I forgot that some 55s were a meduim blue![V]
Oh - the tranny dipstick (automatic trans) is yellow also. Just the dipstick - not the tube, it's black.
I'd keep the one ahead of the fuel pump. Anything in the tank will be caught there before it can fritz the poppet valves in the fuel pump or carb!;)

Miscreant at large.

N8N
03-16-2005, 12:09 AM
ISTR that early '57 was also painted a light blue...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
03-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Rightfully, 57 should be turquoise. They stopped the blue early on in '56 - or so it's been recorded. I've never seen a 56 with anything but the turquoise but I've not seen ALL 56s either! ;)

Miscreant at large.

1949commander
03-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Wonder if it is Ford blue, since everyone thinks the Studebaker 289 was a Ford engine, a machine shop may have painted it Ford blue then then someone else painted it black??

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Sam Roberts
03-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Hey Bob, my June build 1955 Commander had the same blue as '56 V8s had, I guess it is Turquoise, as opposed to "Alberta Blue" of the early 1955s. I assume ( you know how that goes LOL ) it was the original motor in the car, the number is V-354492, and the car serial # 8420371, off the assembly line 6-6-55.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Rightfully, 57 should be turquoise. They stopped the blue early on in '56 - or so it's been recorded. I've never seen a 56 with anything but the turquoise but I've not seen ALL 56s either! ;)

Miscreant at large.

Sam Roberts