X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiggling in the tranny...

I don't know if this is the right way to do this but...[:I]

My arms just don't have the strength to lift a 100+ pound tranny from underneath the car and wiggle at the same time. Too old I guess. Woosse? Maybe.[:I]

Soooo... I took the whole front off the car. This gave me enough clearance to get the (O.D.) tranny and motor in. What I did was to attach them while resting the engine and tranny on sawhorses. Much easier to wiggle and lift where necessary. Better leverage. Much less swearing.

It takes some time to disassemble the front end of the car and put it back together. Still for an old weakling like me, time is much easier to deal with than that *#@*!!! tranny.[}]

Thanks again for the help folks!

Lotsa Larks!

Ronald K. Smith

After struggling to put one back in a Wagonaire, a friend told me that the next time, after getting evenything ready, jack the rear of the car up a few more inches higher than the front, then you can catch the front of the tranny on the back of the bell housing and hold it in place with one hand (or a prop or sling) while putting a top bolt with the other. It's all down hill from there.

sumf

Comment

I have an adapter made to fit the top of my floor jack that lets me lift the tranny in. Mine is homemade, but you can buy a factory made version on eBay - I think most well stocked FLAPS have them as well. I have done it both ways, by removing the front sheet metal and assembling the engine, bell,transmission outside the car and by putting the transmission in from underneith the car. If you have the front sheet metal off anyway, that is the way to go! If you don't need to do something else up front, it is easier to just jack it up and go at it from the underside, using the jack adapter. Be careful! If you use a jack adapter, chain the transmission to the the jack so it can't fall off! Don't ask me how I found this out. You can get two 9/16 -18 bolts about 8 inches long and when you get the tranny in place and the splines engaged properly, put the long bolts into diagonally opposite corners and use them to pull the tranny up to the bell housing by wrenching alternately between them. When the tranny is close enough, put the regular bolts in, and take the long bolts out. Then just torque it up! Easier to do than it is to tell about.

Comment

Everytime I stab a tranny onto the back of engine already in place, I wish I'd have bought a good tranny jack. Had a good friend with one in Flagstaff, but would have to rent down here. I am going to buy one now that I'm old and feeble. Sure make the job easier. Might look into the adapter for a floor jack.....

Kelly J. Marion

Comment

Working...
        X