This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Champ

Help! I just bought a 1963 Champ pickup with a 345 ci engine. I drove it 800 miles this week from where I bought it at a dealer inDerby, KS to my home in Crowley, LA. I had no trouble on the trip, but this morning she wouldn't start. The battery is good, I have lights and gauges. I'm thinking ignition switch, coil or wiring. Does anyone have any part numbers or any other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. Kevin

1963 Champ

Is this the one with the automatic transmission? Could be the neutral safety switch or bad ground on starter solenoid switch.
    BTW, the engine, if its a Studebaker, is either 259 or 289 cid V8.

Sometimes the ignition switch will rotate and break the wire going to the start terminal.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Transtar. The truck does have an auto tranny. The dealer told me that the guy he got it from told him that the engine was mfg'd by International and was a 345 ci.
      Your diagnosis sounds reasonable and pretty much what I came up with as well. I'm waiting for an e-mail from one of the members of the Louisiana chapter of SDC who is supposedly a wizard when it comes to all things Studebaker. Thanks for your help and drive safe. Kevin

1963 Champ

Comment

Kevin;

I agree with Transtar... check those two items. Sometimes these old switches won't work exactly like theu're suppose to and you may have to wiggle them for the gauges to work, but hardly to get the truck started.

Incidently, is your truck blue and were you in the Alexandria-Natchitoches area Sunday afternoon around 5:30+/-? If so, that's one gorgeous truck you have!! I'm from the Alexandria area and have both a 1963 Champ that I'm converting to automatic and a 1962 Hawk. I work in Shreveport and that is where I was on my way to. Actually I live about 3 miles north of Boyce. Look forward to meeting you.

Let me know if I can be of assistance to you.

Laissez le bon temp roulez avec un Studebaker!!!

MDJ
        Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

That was me you saw. I bought the truck in Wichita, KS on Saturday afternoon. Spent the night in OK after having a blowout about 50 miles after I bought the thing. Passed Alec about 7 PM and was in Lafayette before nine.
          The Champ is in pretty good shape, but will need some TLC of course. Some of the paint is chipped and/or peeling. I don't think it was a very good prep job.
          I talked to Fred D. today about joining the local SDC. I'm waiting for an e-mail from him. Any how looking forward to meeting you as well. What do you think about the engine size being a 345 ci?
          I know exactly where Boyce is. I drive an 18 wheeler (part time) full of propane to places like Herring gas in Trout.
          Thanks for the info. I'm relieved to see that great minds think alike! Kevin

1963 Champ

Comment

As I said, thats one heck of a good looking truck you have. Of course, I'm partial to Champs. Mine is red. The engine blew a not long ago and I am in the process of also replacing the engine. Its a 259 cid V-8. In 1963 Studebaker only had two choices of V-8... 259 cid and 289 cid. Both were proprietary (built by Studebaker) and were not built by anyone else other than Studebaker! Yours is probably a 259. Standing in front of the engine, look down just to the right of the top radiator hose on the engine. There is a pad with a number preceded with a letter, either a 'P' or a 'V'. Depending on which letter precedes the numbers, will determine what size engine you have, 259 or 289. I will have to go downstairs to where my books are to tell you which letter equals what. My memory ain't what it used to be and I can't recall suddenly which is which!!

Incidently, my e-mail address is: mjeansonne@Sport.rr.com that's here in Shreveport where I work during the week. I go home on the weekend. I sometime go to Pine Prairie on the weekend for boudin, ponce and cracklin. Crowley ain't far. Sure would like to take a close up of your truck sometime.

Laisez le bon temps avec un Studebaker

Comment

Thanks again for the info. I was trying to figure out how to find out the size of the engine. I hope its not a replacement that's in there. I've got your e-mail address in my book now. Mine is kls1040@cox-internet.com. You are, of course welcome to come by if you're in the area and have a closeup gander at the truck. I'm on vacation for about another month. My regular job is merchant seaman so, when I leave I'm usually gone for 6 months or so. Then when I'm off I've usually got a couple months before going back to a ship. That's why I drive a truck when I'm off.
              Looking forward to meeting you too. Kevin

1963 Champ

Comment

Kevin and Mjeansonne.
                Truck engines have their own numbering system.
                If its a 259, the starting # for 1963 Standard duty 259 cid engines was 3E 18,901 If its a heavy duty 259, the number will start with "5E".
                Standard duty 289's serial #'s started with 7E and heavy duty 289's with 6E .

The serial # ranges for trucks are listed on page No. VII of the parts manual. If you dont have a parts and shop manual yet, I highly recommend you get some from one of the vendors. They really make buying parts and working on the truck easier .

Comment

Thanks again Transtar. I don't have any manuals yet but I will be getting one in the near future. I am a novice at this, but I'm hooked. My poor wife thinks I've lost my mind! Thanks again for your help. Kevin

1963 Champ

Comment

I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble to put a 345 in there, but I suppose anything's possible. From what I remember - if it's an International 345, it will have "International" embossed along the length of the valve cover. The Stude engines don't have their name embossed onto the valve covers. They MIGHT have a decal but it wouldn't be "factory" for a Champ to have any such decal. If there was a decal, it would be because some owner chose to put one on.
                    If the vavle covers are held on with 2 or 4 nuts down the center of the cover, it's likely a Stude engine.

Miscreant at large.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the info Mr Biggs. The valve covers dont have any named on them. So that's a good sign. There is also no number embossed on it that I could find with just a cursory look. The only thing I've found so far is the firing order. I've got the truck in a local shop right now. Hopefully they can fix the ignition problem without too much difficulty. I'll then have a better look around to see if I can find any identifying marks. Thanks for the feedback.
                      BTW, my wife and I really like your signature. I was thinking of changing mine to reprobate. Kevin Sheen
                      quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble to put a 345 in there, but I suppose anything's possible. From what I remember - if it's an International 345, it will have "International" embossed along the length of the valve cover. The Stude engines don't have their name embossed onto the valve covers. They MIGHT have a decal but it wouldn't be "factory" for a Champ to have any such decal. If there was a decal, it would be because some owner chose to put one on.
                      If the vavle covers are held on with 2 or 4 nuts down the center of the cover, it's likely a Stude engine.

Miscreant at large.
                      1963 Champ

Comment

Kev,

The engine serial# (which should shed light on what displacement it is and what it might have originated in - car or truck) is stamped (not "embossed" or "cast") onto a flat area, right at the front of the engine block itself. Right where the driver's side cylinder head meets the front top surface of the block - scrape away any grunge there and look for a stamped number. Likely it starts with 3E, 5E, 6E or 7E if it started life in a truck. If it started life in a car, a V or a P would likely be the first digit.[:I]
                        They're not BIG digits. They're only about 3/16ths an inch tall if that much.
                        Thanks for noting the signature. I try to be a nice guy. But it's easier when you set low expectations to start with![}]

Miscreant at large.
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Good deal, I'll look and let you know what I find when I get the truck back. I hope like hell its the original engine. KS
                          quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Kev,

The engine serial# (which should shed light on what displacement it is and what it might have originated in - car or truck) is stamped (not "embossed" or "cast") onto a flat area, right at the front of the engine block itself. Right where the driver's side cylinder head meets the front top surface of the block - scrape away any grunge there and look for a stamped number. Likely it starts with 3E, 5E, 6E or 7E if it started life in a truck. If it started life in a car, a V or a P would likely be the first digit.[:I]
                          They're not BIG digits. They're only about 3/16ths an inch tall if that much.
                          Thanks for noting the signature. I try to be a nice guy. But it's easier when you set low expectations to start with![}]

Miscreant at large.
                          1963 Champ

Comment

Transtar;
                            Of course, you're right about separate prefixes for engines in cars and trucks, but as I said, "my memory ain't what it used to be"!!!!

BTW Kevin, I've had people argue with me that Studebaker trucks were built by International! Maybe that's where the '345' is coming from.

Comment

Hey Jean, So far I haven't found any numbers on the engine. It also doesn't say International on it. All I know is that its yellow. Found the ignition problem too. Needs a new solenoid and I'm good to go. Fortunately, the solenoid that's there already is a regular Ford part and easily replaceable. So I'm having the guy check out the brakes in the morning and I'll be cruising. Happy Days Kevin
                              quote:Originally posted by mjeansonne

Transtar;
                              Of course, you're right about separate prefixes for engines in cars and trucks, but as I said, "my memory ain't what it used to be"!!!!

BTW Kevin, I've had people argue with me that Studebaker trucks were built by International! Maybe that's where the '345' is coming from.

1963 Champ

Comment

Working...
                              X