This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaky brakes

I've had my '59 Lark exactly a week and I look under it to see a small puddle. Further inspection reveals that the fluid in question is leaking out from the boot on the brake master cylinder. Obviously this needs to be addressed right away. Any advise on checking ti out further, making sure it's drivable to the shop, parts, fixes, etc.? By the way, I'm in Portland, OR if there's anyone you'd like to reccomend - I'm a pretty limited mechanic.

Have you ever rebuilt a brake master cylinder??
    Maybe easiest just to replace the master cylinder and bleed the brakes?
    If you must take it to a shop , have it towed/carried.
    Dont what you paid for it, shame to loose the car over a $74 master cylinder. Thats what I paid for a new one 4 years ago at NAPA.

Part # 2796 Master United. It was also used on industrial equipment, thats why they carry it. If you have a good NAPA store, they should be able to get you one.

Comment

I have to throw in with Charlie here. Fact is, I was just talking to a Lark owner last Saturday evening and he'd gotten a quote from a local garage to rebuild the MC in his 60 ragtop. He was much pleased to find out he could buy a brand new one from NAPA for about half what the garage wanted to "rebuild" his!
      New wheel cylinders and hoses are also available from NAPA (and our favorite Stude vendors, of course!) also. With wheel cylinder kits costing upwards of $15 bucks now, a whole new wheel cylinder for 30-something seems a bargain to me!

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

THE LAST 2 MC'S I REBUILT (HONED) ENDED UP LEAKING WITHIN A YEAR OR 2, SO JUST SPEND THE $ TO BUY A NEW ONE, THEY ARE VERY COMMON TO MANY DIFFERENT MAKES OF VEHICLES.

Comment

I got the part at NAPA and had a loca shop put it on and check out the brakes generally. Not night & day, but definitely better. Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
          X