X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti Questions

Greetings All:
    I am new to this forum, so please bear with me. I have a couple of questions regarding the Avanti which I am attempting to go through and make roadworthy. I'll try and keep these short.
    1.) Anyone know of a source for the frame crossmember which supports the rear engine mount (at the bellhousing). The Stude part no. is 1555889 and I'm told that this x-member is unique to the Avanti (why it should be so I don't know).
    2.) As to the disc brakes, do the calipers always have the name "Bendix" on them as it shows in the pictures in the shop manual? Or did some of them have the name "Dunlop" cast into the caliper, as do mine? As if Bendix somehow had a problem eith the units they were making and got a shipment of Dunlop calipers from across the pond. Either that is the case or someone adapted on my car a couple of calipers from a Jaguar. Mine also have the fluid pipes running on the outside instead of on the inside! This could be easily corrected, but I'm concerned about the apparent difference in calipers. My brakes need work and now is the time to rectify some earlier "injustices".
    3.) Anyone have an experience with a steering wheel rebuild who is willing to recommend the shop doing the restoration of the wheel. My '63 left the factory w/o power steering and hence after 40 years the weld between the rim and spokes has broken. I certainly don't want to trust this job to just anyone. I want a repair which looks correct and will last another 40 years--or 20 years anyway as I'm now in my sixties.
    Thanks for your help.
    "wagone"

Re Brakes:
    My old ones say "Bendix". I bought all the short pipes, at the wheel. The cross over is metric at both ends. The one to the hose is SAE on one end, and metric on the other! Watch out for the ball under the bleeder valve.
    There was also a Toyoto wheel cylinder that bolts right on. I think the bore was slightly bigger. They are hard to find now; but once were a cheaper alternative.
    "White Post", and others sleeve and rebuild these cylinders. They are also available, new, in stainless steel.
    Mike M.

Comment

I believe that the Avanti calipers were mfgrd. by Bendix under license from Dunlop, and that there's no difference in the calipers themselves between Avanti and E-Jag.

Also the crossover lines are available from several Studebaker vendors as well as Classic Tube. I think CT will even make them in stainless.

good luck

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Wagone said:
        Mine also have the fluid pipes running on the outside instead of on the inside!

Please make sure that the pipe that runs between the wheel cylinders is installed exactly like it is pictured in the shop manual. It can be done wrong in which case during hard cornering the wheel can flex enough to rub on the tube causing it to leak or rupture. That would be bad!
        Tim K.
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike

Re Brakes:
          My old ones say "Bendix". I bought all the short pipes, at the wheel. The cross over is metric at both ends. The one to the hose is SAE on one end, and metric on the other! Watch out for the ball under the bleeder valve.
          There was also a Toyoto wheel cylinder that bolts right on. I think the bore was slightly bigger. They are hard to find now; but once were a cheaper alternative.
          "White Post", and others sleeve and rebuild these cylinders. They are also available, new, in stainless steel.
          Mike M.

Comment

These are a Dunlop design as mentioned and some of the early units were from Dunlop with a metal plate a couple of inches in diameter covering the Dunlop name with a Bendex name on it. I haven't seen one of these for quite a few years. I suspect most of them fell off. They were just glued on.

David L
            David L

Comment

Wagone;
              1. don't know where you can get the cross member unless Dan at Nostalgic has them. I purchased both long rails and the rear cross member from him.
              2. I've seen both Dunlop and Bendix ensignias as stock on Avanti. By your description, I'd guess yours are stock - or stock replacement.
              3. I have a good friend, Lauren Matley, that reconditions old steering wheels and recreates the painted look on window surrounds. He's remarkably good and prices are very fair. You can reach him on his cell: 253-350-3604. Please tell him you got his number from me.
              There is another source for wheel restoration located here in Washington State (near Bremerton) if Lauren is unavailable. I'll have to contact Tom Towers at LeMay Restoration to get their contact info, though.
              Good luck,
              Rich

Richard Morris
              Renton, WA
              64 Avanti R-1 #5367
              90 Avanti 4-door #78

Comment

Working...
              X