Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Stude Fender Welt - painted or not?

I'm trying to find out if the fender welting on the rear fenders of my 1951 Land Cruiser should be painted or left black. I've found both versions on restored cars, and can't find period factory photos. Any help would be appreciated!

Bob Stein
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

The subject of rear fender welting on 1947-1952 Studebakers has been studied in depth, primarily by Frd K. Fox and Gary J. Lindstrom (me <G&gt. We looked at original cars, studied factory pictures, talked to factory workers of the time, etc. The net is that in 99% of the cases, the rear fender welting should be painted body color. The rare exception seems to be some (very few) black or dark color cars that had unpainted, black welting. What makes it confusing is that the paint usually wore off the welting in a short period of time. This led many people to think that their original cars did not originally have painted welting. Also, there were long lead factory brochures showing light color cars with black welting. The welting and rear fenders were painted before they were assembled on the car. Fred K. Fox wrote these findings up in Turning Wheels years ago. The net is, paint your rear fender welting to match the car.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
    X