This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edelbrock carb 500 cfm vs 600cfm.

Is there any real advantage to using a 600cfm Edelbrock carb over a 500cfm carb on a stock 289 engine on a 1961 Hawk? Looking for opinions. Also where can I buy an insulation spacer for between the carb and manifold? Anything special. Thanks for the help. Harvey

I would think the 500 would be better on your 289. Most street rodders find that the 600 is jetted somewhat rich for a stock 350 Chev. The Edelbrock people at Nats North last year recommended 650CFM for a chev 383 with cam and Vortec heads. I am using a 600 on my 350 with a Crane cam, Edel manifold and headers. Works well. Hope this helps.

BJ

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.
    Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

I put a 600 Holley on my 63 Hawk 289 using a spacer I purchased from Autozone. I had to turn the spacer upside down but it works great. It's on a stock 1962 4 barrell manifold. Regarding 600 over the 500, don't think a 289 will "suck" 600. I have read some opinions that says it won't even do 500. My 600 works great but I would guess that a 500 would work as well.

Comment

Harvey- I'm searching real hard for a 'phenolic' spacer to use on my '62 truck(AFB 4bbl). The phenolic spacer cuts down on heat transfer from engine to carb. I put one on my '64 a few years ago but didn't keep a record of the supplier. When I find one I'll post again under this topic and let you know where I found it.

Comment

Summit advertises a 1/2" 4-hole phenolic spacer, but I don't know who the supplier is. Part no SUM-G1402 (yes, I have a stack of catalogs right next to my puter)

I believe that Mr. Gasket also sells a stack of aluminum plates and gaskets that works similarly, and others have used that with good results. Personally I'm stuck using an aluminum spacer as my carb is on an old Offy manifold.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The only real advantage to the 600 CFM over the 500 CFM is purchase price. The 600 1406 (electric choke) and the 1405 (manual choke) are a lot more plentiful, therefore cheaper used than the 1403 and the 1404 (500 CFM versions). If you are buying new or factory rebuilt, the cost is about the same - go with the 500 CFM model. If you are going with a good used, go for the 600 CFM. They are the same body. I'm very happy with a 1405 on my 1951 Commander with a 232 that has been bored to 259 and running an Avanti cam with a 1405 (because I'm still 6 volts).

Comment

I think wacker is all over it, 100%. I'd say the exact same thing. I'd get the 500 if I could but you can get the 600 and do some jetting and tuning, a LOT cheaper and better than the stock carbs. I just put a 1406 on my 460 furd today, and it has more power and runs better than it even did!

Sonny
              Sonny
              http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
              X