This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition problem

have replaced original 232 v8 in my 53 commander with a 259 v8 i believe is from a 59 lark. would the 259 engine have a 12 volt distributor causing me to not get a spark out of the original 6 volt system? if this is the case how do i best deal with the problem?

While I'm no expert on this topic, I would think you would need to retain some of the electrical components, such as the coil, from your 6 volt system. As I recall the 6-volt cars were positive gound while the 12-volt cars were negative ground, so you may need to pay attention to the wiring of the lines to/from the distributor and coil to get the correct polarity.

1960 Lark Convertible
    1962 GT Hawk
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by borowski@up.net

have replaced original 232 v8 in my 53 commander with a 259 v8 i believe is from a 59 lark. would the 259 engine have a 12 volt distributor causing me to not get a spark out of the original 6 volt system? if this is the case how do i best deal with the problem?
      No such thing as a 6 volt/12 volt distributor in a Studebaker borowski. In fact, you can use a 12 volt coil on a 6 volt system. You must make sure that you have a full six volts to the coil when you turn the key on, not trying to start it, just turning the key on. You should try the 6 volt coil you had on the 232 first. Vigorously shake and listen for the liquid sound in any coil that you are trying to use, it must have that liquid sound, (oil), or throw it away.

Also, your '53 is a positive ground system, have you made sure all the wiring is connected correctly for a positive ground system? If you were so inclined, now would be a good time to change it over to a negative ground system.

Sonny
      Sonny
      http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Engine don't know no difference - 6volt distributor / 12volt distributor. 12 volt system uses a resistor in line with the coil - 6volt system don't - but that should make NO difference as to what goes on inside the distributor!

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
        X