X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flywheel bolts

My shop manual says that the flywheel bolts have to installed
    in the crank before the rear main cap can go on.
    I need to know what those bolts are as my crank was automatic and the hawk is a t 10 4 speed not yet apart
    thanks

Steve

steve strait

That's a fact Steve, ya gotta know before you put the rear main cap in. The auto flywheel bolts are shorter than the standard shift flywheel bolts. The appropriate bolts MUST be used with their respective flywheels. They both have specially shaped heads and are fine thread, grade 8. The only difference between them is the length, so a fella has to be careful.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

I have the auto bolt and nuts
      do you know the length of manual bolts
      as I would Like to finish the rebuild before
      removing the original engine and trans.
      Thanks
      Steve

steve strait

Comment

Off-hand, no I don't know the exact length of the longer manual flywheel bolts. I do know that you can get them, (pretty cheap actually), from Studebaker International. Do you have a catalog? Hell, you can just call 'em and they'll get 'em out to ya.

Sonny
        Sonny
        http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

They're 3/8 -24 x 1 13/64" for manual tranny cars. Like Sonny said, they have a special head, which is round except for a "flat" that snugs up against the crank flange.

Comment

Thanks everyone I'll call for some new ones

steve strait

Comment

These bolts are part# 194542 They're primarily 3/8ths-24 bolts with a 1&13/64ths inch shank length.
              I've used grade 8 bolts of 1&1/4" length. What I did was grind one flat of the bolt's hex head to fit up against the rear crankshaft flange as required. If you've never see the factory bolts before, they have a circular-shaped head with a flat on a part of the circular head. That flat serves to hold the bolt from turning as you tighten or loosen the nuts that secure the flywheel.[^]

Miscreant at large.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

no one that I called had those bolts
                So Thanks to Mr Biggs I will try some grinding.
                Thanks

steve strait

Comment

I have a few new sets of the crank bolts for manual transmission cars. I would be willing to sell a few sets.

David L
                  David L

Comment

I'm looking for the manual flywheel bolts as well to convert. What are you asking for them?

Comment

You can find used ones for about $4.00 each. The ones I am selling are $8 each. So a set would be $48. The only reason I am selling any of them, and some other items, is to raise some money for the Bonneville car. Anyway if you want some send me an email. I think I only have about 5 sets left and will keep at least 2 sets for myself.

David L
                      David L

Comment

Sometimes I've found that the flat part doesn't snug up against the crank flange. Sometimes there is a gap of about a sixteenth of an inch. Why is that? And I always use real Studebaker bolts. I actually had one turn on me once because of the gap, which was a real bummer since I had to drop the pan with the engine in place to fix it. I only like to put pans on when the engine is upside down on my engine stand.

Comment

Thanks 64avanti. I'll let you know when I have the money and we'll see if you still have em'

Comment

Working...
                          X