X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Stude

Sonny ...find anything out??Phonebook results for "716-941-3110"

Leroy E Rauch Jr, (716) 941-3110, 8158 Boston State Rd, Hamburg, NY 14075

Finally got somebody there Bob! Yep, the car still exists, but it's in rough shape. He wasn't a very talkative fella but he did agree to take my name and number. He said that he might stop by, (he lives about 15 minutes away). He says he and his brother and father all have Studebakers and his Dad is a member of the SDC. He says that there was an article about that car in the TW a while back and he has copies of it. He says that yes, it does have "The last car" and the initials and date welded into the floor panel.

He didn't offer to show me the car or any of his cars, (even though I hinted pretty strongly ), but mebbe I can get him to lemme/us see it if we can get him to one of our Studebaker get-togethers and "work" on him a bit .

All I have for now, hope I can get some pictures and/or more info.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Thats great Sonny ! Glad to hear the car is still around. Be good to get some pics of it . I am good friends with one of the last employees up in Hamilton and he was the original guy that told me about this car. I will be sure to mention all this to him at our next chapter meeting later this month.
      Great detective work
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I thought the Last Stude was the car in the National Museum

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Thats great Sonny ! Glad to hear the car is still around. Be good to get some pics of it . I am good friends with one of the last employees up in Hamilton and he was the original guy that told me about this car. I will be sure to mention all this to him at our next chapter meeting later this month.
          Great detective work
          Thanks Bob. Hell, mebbe we can get him up there to meet some of you fine fellas. He might be interested in meeting one of the last employees there, and it might get him spooled up enough to let us look the car over or even mebbe start a resto on it? I'll keep you abreast of anything else that I get.

Sonny
          Sonny

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

I thought the Last Stude was the car in the National Museum
            Yep, the last car is in the museum, but I don't know the story of the last car, I dunno how that was determined. This car is no spoof though, it's real, was marked at the factory. It's a two door, the car at the museum is a four door. I talked about that a bit with the owner. I don't think anyone knows what really happened but mebbe this was supposed to be the last car and was changed at the last minute, or the fella who did the welding thought it was the last car, or.......

Main thing is, the car is still around, safe and sound. [8D]

Sonny
            Sonny

Comment

The way it was is that after they made the last "official" car there was a chassis on the line as I understand it. Some of the remaining workers got together and made this car . As it was going down the line one of the welders welded ( wrote) the guys initials on the transmission hump. There is a photo with all the guys around this car as they were doing this. I just happen to know one of these guys and he happen to tell me this story about 20 years ago. About 15 years ago I ran into the current owner and we got talking , he was amazed that i knew of the car. Anyways its good to know its still around and maybe , who knows, these guys can meet up and shoot the BS. Just hope I can be there
              sigpic

Comment

It is my understanding that the car in the museam is the car with the last serial number. The two door mentioned in this thread was the last body made. Remember, bodies were not used in their order of production.

2R2
                Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Yes we know but this car was the actual last one out the door , just not the one that got all the fan fair. Good part about it we still have living proof to prove it too !
                  sigpic

Comment

So, does this "last" car not have a serial # ?

steve blake
                    steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Oh , I'm sure it does, just haven't got to see it yet...but with Sonny's help we may get to yet.
                      sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by arkiejazz

So, does this "last" car not have a serial # ?

steve blake
                        Sonny

Comment

Hey Sonny ...went to our chapter meeting today and I talked to one of the guys who worked on that stude in Hamburg , hes just so excited that its that close to us and he sure would like to see it , so if you ever get to go over to this guys place to see it let us know and I'll bring this guy over. By the way he figures that the serial # should probably be higher then the one thats in South Bend...this is info that would be neat to find out.[:I]
                          sigpic

Comment

Yep, as soon as I can, we'll get a "get-togther" going. I'm hoping that he'll hook up with us and go to some of the local chapter doings. He doesn't seem very motivated to do anything at all with the car. Hey, I have an idea, how much do you guys have in the club coffers? I'll bet a nice offer would get him more attentive. What a club project! [^]

Sonny
                            Sonny

Comment

Now that would be interesting but most of our guys have trouble enough just fixing what they have and then where do you put something like that. I'd just like to see the car , leave the restoration up to someone else ( like you Sonny )
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X