PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Pam
03-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Hi, My name is Pam and my husband and I have just acquired a 1963 GT Hawk. It is in good shape but still needs a lot of work. That's OK, that's why we bought it!

I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I look forward to talking to you all, although I do have a question. Under the carpet on the driver's side is a hole with a fluid bottle underneath. There is no door or cover, so obviously something needs to be done about that. Is there a specific part for this and what is the best way to seal it to stop water coming in? Any help would be appreciated!

Pam

2R5
03-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi Pam...welcome aboard ! You are talking about the master cylinder for the brakes . There should be a round metal cover that screws down to the floor board. There is a fella in Wisconsin that reproduces some metal parts for Studebakers . His email or phone # can ne found in the vendors directory of the SDC website....good luck with your project

Pam
03-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks 2R5! Appreciate the tip!
Pam :)

Transtar60
03-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Pam,
Thats the access cover for the master cylinder for the brakes.
Part # 284299 held in place by two clips # 1458x2.
Studebaker Intl lists both 284299 (metal) and 292050(rubber covered metal) in their catalog, for $15 or so.

they should be listed with the other vendors.

Roscomacaw
03-02-2005, 06:02 PM
I might add that there's no need to "seal" that cover to keep water from coming in. Not unless you plan on driving in floods! :D Some of those covers are held in place with two screws and some with little clips. I would suspect the Hawk uses screws. Truth is, you could make one from a piece of sheet metal or even a coffee can lid! All you really need is a pair of tin snips and a drill to make the holes for the screws! It's nothing fancy and it's virtually invisible with the carpet flopped back over it. A coffee can lid beats $20 bucks from a vendor for a disc of flat metal with two screw holes in it. [^]

Miscreant at large.

BigB
03-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi Pam,

a warm welcome to the SDC-Forum!:D

Bjoern

http://cms2.koepfe.de:8002/mediabase/images/39_39_stude_kl.jpg
Livin' in Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

imported_n/a
03-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Pam, the 'fluid bottle' or master cylinder has a cover right?[:I] If not it's kinda important. As for the floor cover, I go along with the coffee can lid and sheet metal screws. That's all I have in my Champ (pickup). The original cover was lumpy under the carpet and I kept catching my heel on it. Annoying.[}:)] Unless you plan to show. That could cause a loss of points (the can lid, but it would be good for a laugh or two). Welcome from another newbee...
By the way, neat car![8D]

Ronald K. Smith