This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hi, My name is Pam and my husband and I have just acquired a 1963 GT Hawk. It is in good shape but still needs a lot of work. That's OK, that's why we bought it!

I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I look forward to talking to you all, although I do have a question. Under the carpet on the driver's side is a hole with a fluid bottle underneath. There is no door or cover, so obviously something needs to be done about that. Is there a specific part for this and what is the best way to seal it to stop water coming in? Any help would be appreciated!

Pam

Hi Pam...welcome aboard ! You are talking about the master cylinder for the brakes . There should be a round metal cover that screws down to the floor board. There is a fella in Wisconsin that reproduces some metal parts for Studebakers . His email or phone # can ne found in the vendors directory of the SDC website....good luck with your project
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks 2R5! Appreciate the tip!
      Pam

Comment

Pam,
        Thats the access cover for the master cylinder for the brakes.
        Part # 284299 held in place by two clips # 1458x2.
        Studebaker Intl lists both 284299 (metal) and 292050(rubber covered metal) in their catalog, for $15 or so.

they should be listed with the other vendors.

Comment

I might add that there's no need to "seal" that cover to keep water from coming in. Not unless you plan on driving in floods! Some of those covers are held in place with two screws and some with little clips. I would suspect the Hawk uses screws. Truth is, you could make one from a piece of sheet metal or even a coffee can lid! All you really need is a pair of tin snips and a drill to make the holes for the screws! It's nothing fancy and it's virtually invisible with the carpet flopped back over it. A coffee can lid beats $20 bucks from a vendor for a disc of flat metal with two screw holes in it. [^]

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi Pam,

a warm welcome to the SDC-Forum!

Bjoern

Livin' in Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

Comment

Pam, the 'fluid bottle' or master cylinder has a cover right?[:I] If not it's kinda important. As for the floor cover, I go along with the coffee can lid and sheet metal screws. That's all I have in my Champ (pickup). The original cover was lumpy under the carpet and I kept catching my heel on it. Annoying.[}] Unless you plan to show. That could cause a loss of points (the can lid, but it would be good for a laugh or two). Welcome from another newbee...
              By the way, neat car![8D]

Ronald K. Smith

Comment

Working...
              X