PDA

View Full Version : New guy looking for COE

OldSub
02-26-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm new here. Just found this forum today.

I've been thinking about a Studebaker COE and decided the best way to find one would be to join the online Studebaker community. When I was 13 my dad gave me a '59 Studebaker Lark that he had decided was no longer usable, so my experience with Studes goes way back.

These days I like playing with trucks and keep eying COEs. It seems everyone had a Chevy or GMC COE and Fords are almost as common. I want a Studebaker.

I probably don't have much Studebaker specific knowledge to contribute here, but will try to help with anything I do know.

Thanks for letting me join!

Looking for a Studebaker COE...

raprice
02-26-2005, 03:25 PM
What on earth is a COE?
Rog

Chris Pile
02-26-2005, 05:25 PM
CAB OVER ENGINE!

Roscomacaw
02-26-2005, 10:16 PM
There was just one sold on ebay a few months back. I know who got it and it's probably for sale, although I don't know that for sure. It was as good an example of one as you can hope to find but it was in need of everything.;)

Miscreant at large.

gordr
02-26-2005, 10:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by OldSub

I've been thinking about a Studebaker COE and decided the best way to find one would be to join the online Studebaker community. When I was 13 my dad gave me a '59 Studebaker Lark that he had decided was no longer usable, so my experience with Studes goes way back.

These days I like playing with trucks and keep eying COEs. It seems everyone had a Chevy or GMC COE and Fords are almost as common. I want a Studebaker.

I probably don't have much Studebaker specific knowledge to contribute here, but will try to help with anything I do know.

Studebaker COEs are really hard to find. As far as I know, they were only built from about 1936 to 1940, as J and K series. ( And I may be wrong about the J series.) I AM pretty well certain there were no M or 2R series COEs; pity.

There was the hulk of a COE cab offered on eBay a few months ago from California. I don't know what became of it. You might want to search completed auctions on eBay, or do a Google search of alt.autos.studebaker, where that particular item got quite a bit of talk.

I know Marshall Sanders in Montana has nice restored one. If you are not already a member of SDC, can I recommend that you join (right here on this website). You will receive Turning Wheels magazine, which is absolutely first-rate, and you could run a wanted ad. You can also get a roster, which lists most members and their vehicles. You will likely run across one or two COEs in there. Not necessarily for sale, but people who have 'em often know where there are others, simply because they get approached by people who say, "Hey, I know where one of those is at.." As a Weasel owner, I know how it it goes.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

raprice
02-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Chris,
Thanks for the info. Boy, do I feel stupid! Anyway, now I know what COE means.
Rog

OldSub
02-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys! I'll keep looking for that perfect COE.

Roscomacaw
02-28-2005, 10:39 AM
If you find one, there's an issue of The Antique Studebaker Review that featured the story of finding and restoring one of these rare trucks.;)

Miscreant at large.

DEEPNHOCK
03-01-2005, 06:11 PM
There was indeed an M Series COE. It was basically an M series cab raised up and some hood to front fender extensions added on. A different (longer) grille and trim were added. I saw an aqua one (or light blue, I don't remember) a couple years ago and have a picture of it.

The prewar COE's were a steel over wood frame construction, so survivability was minimal. After the gent who won the Best of Show at Charlotte this year (and spent...according to rumors) better than $200k on it (rumor...rumor)... The one in Indio, California went for less than $2k.

I did a rendering of what a Ccab COE would (or could) look like...
It's on the phantoms page at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/104540753NKtCAI

I'd like to build a COE Ccab slant back car hauler done in vintage style.... Stude powered <g>
Jeff

quote:Originally posted by gordr

quote:Originally posted by OldSub

Studebaker COEs are really hard to find. As far as I know, they were only built from about 1936 to 1940, as J and K series. ( And I may be wrong about the J series.) I AM pretty well certain there were no M or 2R series COEs; pity.

There was the hulk of a COE cab offered on eBay a few months ago from California. I don't know what became of it. You might want to search completed auctions on eBay, or do a Google search of alt.autos.studebaker, where that particular item got quite a bit of talk.

I know Marshall Sanders in Montana has nice restored one. If you are not already a member of SDC, can I recommend that you join (right here on this website). You will receive Turning Wheels magazine, which is absolutely first-rate, and you could run a wanted ad. You can also get a roster, which lists most members and their vehicles. You will likely run across one or two COEs in there. Not necessarily for sale, but people who have 'em often know where there are others, simply because they get approached by people who say, "Hey, I know where one of those is at.." As a Weasel owner, I know how it it goes.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
'61 Hawk
'37 Coupe Express
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

OldSub
03-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Jeff those are great photos!

I'm thinking I want a pre-war truck but some of those newer trucks could be exciting too. I've always liked the R pickups but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle the work it would take to create a COE version.