This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-speed identification

I know where there is a 61 Hawk that's an absolute basket case-no hope of restoration. [xx(] It's a standard shift, is there an easy way to tell if it's a 4 speed? The car's full of junk, and it's sitting on 4 flat tires. (Hard to get under).

If its got a floor shift, chances are good its a 4spd.
    Factory didnt offer 3spd on the floor(except later in taxi-cabs).

Comment

It is a floor shift.

Comment

If it still has the original shift knob on it, it should have the shift pattern on the knob. If not, just work it thru the gears and see if you can find 5 slots! That would be a four speed.[8D]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Shift knob is long gone. I'll have to make my way inside, seats are REAL nasty, no more upholstery, just digusting stuffing and springs.[xx(] If it is a 4 speed, would it be worth the effort to dig it out? I wouldn't put it in my Hawk. I'd probably try to sell it. Is there much of a demand for a Studebaker 4 speed?

Comment

yes, the input shaft and bearing retainer are unique even though most of the tranny is a standard T-10. So it's worthless to most people but gold to a Stude guy

If you do decide to retrieve it make sure you get the bellhousing, clutch linkage, etc. and also the little fiberglass plate that covers the hole in the floor for the shifter (bring a drill, you will have to drill out all those sheetmetal screws if it's as bad as you say) - also check to see if it's got a TT rear.

If you have the opportunity you might want to try to get under there and hose down the throwout bearing with some penetrating oil before you try to pull the tranny - easier said than done, I know. Pull the starter and use the "straw" maybe? But I've seen a couple 4-speeds come out with the bearing rusted to the bearing retainer and then one of the hard to find unique parts that you're trying to save is now in two pieces. (all is not lost, however, if you find yourself in that situation a Studebaker T-85 3-speed uses the same piece.) Might want to grab the starter as well, it's not *really* unique but they are different between stick and automatic, and you already took it off anyway.

good luck,

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, but after careful consideration, (and protests from my wife), I decided that it's not worth the effort FOR ME. If anybody out there is in the Atlanta area, and is interested, let me know and I'll tell you how to find the car. It's sitting beside a building in plain view of a busy road. There is not one bit of evidence of vandalism on this car.(except from mother nature). I've been told it's been sitting there for several years.[xx(]

Comment

I don't know what you'd have to pay to get it, but if you got the bell housing, the clutch linkage, the shifter and the drive shaft..... I'd say it's worth probably $700 or so. Maybe that'll change the wife's tune, eh?[:0]

Miscreant at large.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                X