X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets and idle problem...

Dudes-
    How can I make my Commander 6 idle in damp weather? she stumbles/stalls when it's damp. When the wx is dry, perfect. Any ideas how to fix?
    thanks
    dan0

Stuff:
    1941 M15...retirement project
    1953 2R11... daily ride
    2001 F-350 Super Duty Lariat to haul it all..
    1989 Caprice Classic Brougham
    Sexy! 67' John Deere 112H

Tried new spark plug wires? I imagine that the metal shield used on that engine would make the engine fairly sensitive to wires with insulation that's starting to go...

good luck,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I agree with Nate. Clean the exterior of the spark plugs, clean the interior and exterior of the distributor cap and install new secondary wires.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ya but...
        It idles/runs perfect in drier condtions. What gives?[]

Stuff:
        1953 2R11... daily ride

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dan0

Ya but...
          It idles/runs perfect in drier condtions. What gives?[]

Stuff:
          1953 2R11... daily ride
          Just the moisture in the air will set up a conductor for a misfire where the wires are close to each other or anything metallic. Your wires have tiny cracks that you can't see, (or probably can't), as the outer casing insulating properties breaks down after a few years, especially from the heat.

Sonny
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

On a V-8 it is best to separate number 5, and number 7, wires in the loom. I use to get an annoying miss due to that until I put number 3 wire between them. Not being familiar with a 6, and the firing order, etc., but maybe there is something like that in them as well.

Just the moisture in the air will set up a conductor for a misfire where the wires are close to each other or anything metallic. Your wires have tiny cracks that you can't see, (or probably can't), as the outer casing insulating properties breaks down after a few years, especially from the heat.

Sonny

[/quote]

Sam Roberts

Comment

Moist air will also find it's way inside the distributor cap too. This can cause the same sorta grief. If this thing runs fine in dry weather, it's not the carb.

Miscreant at large.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I dunno dudes. It does not misfire. It just refuses to idle. Like it would rather flood out from being too rich. I'll ck the ign sys.
                thanks
                dan0

Stuff:
                1953 2R11... daily ride

Comment

Have you ever drained and sealed the gas tank? Blown out all the lines from the tank forward, taken the carb off and checked to see if there's any crap in the bowl? I think everyone was going on your wet/dry weather comparisons. For a fuel situation, it's usually hot/cold weather that causes problems, wet or dry normally has no effect on fuel delivery, unless it's cold and wet.

It's hard to diagnose problems so far away and no hands on, always better when we're loaded down with as much information as you can provide so we can give you the most through answer.

Sonny
                  Sonny
                  http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
                  X