This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 champ 6 to 8?

I have two champs both are 62s. One has a good floor the other is like swiss cheese. I would like to put the V8 from Swiss cheese into the other. The problem is the transmission. Are they compatible? Will a V8 mate up with the transmission on a 6? Also the differential on the 6cyl Champ has siezed up. Can this be fixed? Or could the other be switched with the V8? Is there any I can check the gear ratios on these two vehicles? You know, Vin numbers, model numbers, etc... I don't think either of these have been modified. HELP!![:0]

Ronald K. Smith

what you are proposing is a heck of a lot easier than it would be in a car. What I would do is just swap the entire drivetrain from one vehicle to another, I think that would be easiest. Then your only issue is how to wire up under the hood; although you could probably just swap the gauge panel and switches (with wiring harness attached) at the same time - it's not as hard as it sounds.

good luck

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

If you want the tranny to live very long, swap the tranny as well. You are fortunate to have a full parts truck to work with as a lot of little pieces that look similar are different on the two truck.
      Like shift arms, speedo cables and stuff like that.

The rear axle should have a tag on it with the ratio. Though it may have disappeared, you can pull the rear cover and the ratio will be stamped on the ring gear carrier(you may have to roll it around to see it). It will be a number like 54/over 12 or something like that. Divide the little # with the big one to get the ratio. Studebaker used Dana 44 axles in all 1/2 ton Champs so swapping that is not a problem.(except for rusty bolts etc<G&gt.
      Keep in mind bearings and such are not hard to find for DANA's since they were used in lots of cars, trucks and jeeps etc.

The wiring harness isnt all that difficult to swap, though I would use MAD electrics kit to install GM 3 wire alternator and that would eliminate the need to change the wiring harness out.

Comment

Working...
      X