PDA

View Full Version : FOM Transmission

johnesmonde
02-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Through responses to earlier postings I learned that the transmission in my 62 Hawk was really a three speed that started in 2nd gear. The procedure of starting in L to hold 1st gear, moving into D for 2nd and quickly back to L to hold in 2nd worried me in case it slipped into Reverse doing it quickly. Mr. Biggs comments on the 51 Commander transmission mention a safety preventing accidental shift into reverse at a forward speed. Is this true for the FOM transmission in the 62 Hawk?

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

Roscomacaw
02-12-2005, 04:30 PM
No, it's not true for the Flight-o-matic. But consider that if it's a gutsy getaway you want, just tromp the gas pedal to the floor when taking off from a standstill in Drive. Provided your Stude's throttle pressure linkage is adjusted correctly, it shouldtake off in first and shift to second once sufficent speed is achieved or if you let up on the gas right away. But it won't hold in first much past 20 or 25MPH unless you start out in Low and shift manually to Drive.:D
The FOM didn't have the safetys built in to the earlier DG trannies. And this was part of why it was a cheaper unit. Cheaper because it was less elaborate than the DG and cheaper because it shared so many internal parts with the Ford version that was being built in WAY bigger numbers than the DG units. The bean counters at Studebaker most certainly pushed to go with the cheaper tranny as a way to shave costs. After all - millions of Ford customers were happy with what they were getting!;)

Miscreant at large.

N8N
02-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Funny you should mention the throttle pressure linkage, my '55 (with late model long-tail FOM) makes a little buzz at idle in park, fluid is full and pink, seems to work fine tooling around the driveway at least. JP seems to think I need to adjust this linkage but it's already as short as it can be, then he said something about adjusting the stop screw and throttle rod at the top of the throttle linkage, does this make a big difference? ISTR something in the shop manual about using a certain size drill bit to check it. I didn't get that far today as the car is still up on the lift.

Also along the same lines, my car now has a one piece driveshaft and no center bearing support crossmember, whoever did it welded a tube under the frame, but I think that tube needs to go to get a properly fitting exhaust that doesn't push my e-brake cable up into my driveshaft, is this a problem?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
02-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Nate,

It'd be worth your time to call John Metzker and ask him about that buzzing. My 60 LArk started doing that in Park and Reverse when it's cold. And I've not messed with the throttle linkage on it in years.
About 10 years ago I happened to run into a long-time tranny mechanic and I told him about the buzzing sound. He chuckled and allowed as how he'd summarily chamfered the edge of one valve slug in the valve body to eliminate that sound. He even showed me how to do it myself but I never bothered on the Lark and now have forgotten which one it is! Either way, it's not a problem of low fluid.
I'm very familiar with that crossmember that's been modified. I can't see where it would hurt anything if if were gone. I've seen some SBC-powered C-Ks that it was hacked out of and they did just fine.;)

Miscreant at large.

N8N
02-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the reply, I guess that means it doesn't really hurt anything then :)

Is it possible to convert back to a 2-piece driveshaft? or would that involve a whole new transmission? I'm just worried about hitting the floorpan under hard acceleration.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

Roscomacaw
02-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Trying to revert to a 2-piece while maintaing the later tranny is charting new waters Nate. You'd have to find a '56-57 Flight-o-Matic to make it a bolt-in deal. Then you'd have to round up the center support stuff.;)

BTW - that's a gorgeous 55 you've landed! MAybe THIS one you'll keep???[:0]

Miscreant at large.

N8N
02-13-2005, 07:08 PM
I planned on keeping all of them, I just keep finding nicer ones :)

BTW the throttle adjustment was way out up in the engine compartment so I did the whole procedure with the drill bit and everything. I'm not sure how precise I was as the throttle linkage is real sloppy, but I did everything according to the FSM with a little allowance for play. Now the little clevis down by the tranny is about in the middle of its adjustment range, so I feel better about it. No noise now, either cold or after a little spin around the block (yay!) I have no idea if that's related or just has something to do with being exercised for the first time in years.

Next job: new exhaust pipes. The e-brake cable rubbing on the driveshaft is driving me nuts! Looks like someone custom made the exhaust and then swapped the drivetrain later, and the pipes really aren't compatible with the later FOM/driveshaft. Which is a shame as other than one tailpipe it's in good shape.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop