This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 Commander

I am new to this page so bare with me. What are the avaliable 1939-1942 Studbaker vehicles, What price range from part-cars to the best ? Are thes reliable road vehicles yet?

As the first person to reply, let me say welcome! I'm pretty new here too and can not usually make any useful contribution, so I post little, but it seems to be an extremely friendly and helpful group.

In January Turning Wheels (the invaluable SDC journal) there is a superb looking '39 Commander convertible for $29,000 - but in the south of France. Another (Coupe Express) being restored and "will complete for $70,000". That seems to me to be way above the usual prices for cars advertised in TW. A '40 Champion sedan for $5,500. '40 President Business coupe - $40,000. '41 Commander Skyway - $15,000. In Feb. TW there is in addition a '40 President Business Coupe for $32,000.

TW lists many cars for sale every month and they vary enormously in condition and price. Well worth keeping an eye on. I got my Speedster that way 9 years ago in the days when I got TW two months late by sea mail. The vendors were surprised to get a call from London in mid winter when they had given up trying to sell the car - and when I at last plucked up the courage to take the plunge. I would never have done it had I realise just how far short of a realistic estimate my courage was to prove to be! But well worth it in the end. (My father had a new '55 Champion on which I later took my driving test in snow in Oxford aged 17.)

Good luck! Peter.

Comment

I can provide fill in on some of the cars you refer to Peter. The '41 Commander Skyway is owned by a fellow in the Indy Chapter of SDC, and is a very nice car I assure you!

The $70,000 Coupe Express is from an auto dealer in the Elkhart area of Indiana, and if you look carefully, he has several advertised in TW. Nobody seems to know a lot about him up in northern Indiana, and being a member of the Michiana chapter in South Bend, as well as the Indy chapter, that indicates to me that using caution would be important there!

Sam Roberts

Comment

Comment

There is a good chance 1949 commander has seen this 1941 more than I have even!

quote:Originally posted by 1949commander
          Sam Roberts

Comment

Working...
          X