PDA

View Full Version : 1941 Commander

curt
02-09-2005, 09:55 PM
I am new to this page so bare with me. What are the avaliable 1939-1942 Studbaker vehicles, What price range from part-cars to the best ? Are thes reliable road vehicles yet?:)

Peter in London
02-10-2005, 06:01 AM
As the first person to reply, let me say welcome! I'm pretty new here too and can not usually make any useful contribution, so I post little, but it seems to be an extremely friendly and helpful group.

In January Turning Wheels (the invaluable SDC journal) there is a superb looking '39 Commander convertible for $29,000 - but in the south of France. Another (Coupe Express) being restored and "will complete for $70,000". That seems to me to be way above the usual prices for cars advertised in TW. A '40 Champion sedan for $5,500. '40 President Business coupe - $40,000. '41 Commander Skyway - $15,000. In Feb. TW there is in addition a '40 President Business Coupe for $32,000.

TW lists many cars for sale every month and they vary enormously in condition and price. Well worth keeping an eye on. I got my Speedster that way 9 years ago in the days when I got TW two months late by sea mail. The vendors were surprised to get a call from London in mid winter when they had given up trying to sell the car - and when I at last plucked up the courage to take the plunge. I would never have done it had I realise just how far short of a realistic estimate my courage was to prove to be! But well worth it in the end. (My father had a new '55 Champion on which I later took my driving test in snow in Oxford aged 17.)

Good luck! Peter.

Sam Roberts
02-10-2005, 08:27 AM
I can provide fill in on some of the cars you refer to Peter. The '41 Commander Skyway is owned by a fellow in the Indy Chapter of SDC, and is a very nice car I assure you!

The $70,000 Coupe Express is from an auto dealer in the Elkhart area of Indiana, and if you look carefully, he has several advertised in TW. Nobody seems to know a lot about him up in northern Indiana, and being a member of the Michiana chapter in South Bend, as well as the Indy chapter, that indicates to me that using caution would be important there!

Sam Roberts

1949commander
02-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Welcome aboard,

The 39-42 Studebaker were very well regarded touring cars. They had a good independent front suspension "Planar" and many had overdrive, which in stock form allows them to cruise all day on modern highways at 65 mph. The 41-model year seems to be the most sought after today because of their very clean and up market style combined with very attractive interiors. They built three lines during 39-42, the entry model was the Champion, which was an all-new car for 1939, it had completely new driveline, chassis, body etc. The Champion 6 was one of the first American 6 cylinder engines that could withstand 5000 rpms on the dyno for more than 24 hours. They were one of the few all-new cars in the day that came out with little or no bugs. They were noted for excellent fuel economy and swept all the economy runs of the day with 25-27 MPG. The next model was the Commander series; this car did not share much at all with the Champion. Its body was larger in width and length and the chassis was different as well. The Commanders used a larger and completely different inline flathead 6 that displaced 226 CID. This engine is very smooth with lots of torque. Its roots date back to the Rockne series of 1932. Commanders with overdrive are great cruisers. The top of the line series was the President 8. These cars shared bodies with the Commanders but had a longer wheelbase to accommodate the President 8 engine. This engine was a record-winning engine, it is a small straight eight for its time for it only displaces 250 CID, but it was powerful at over 100hp, very smooth with 9 main bearings, and very fuel-efficient. The President 8 engine was discontinued after WW-2, rebuilding it is more costly than the other sixes since they were built for many years after the war. I have driven a 1938 President 8 and was impressed with the power, smoothness and willingness to rev. The car I drove had never been overhauled since it only had 40,000 miles.

Champions run from as little at $1000.00 to $15,000.00 for a nice one
Commanders $1500.00 to $20,000.00
Presidents are very rare and tend to be hard to price but I have seen 41ís listed as high as $35,000.00-$40,000.00

I hope to someday have a 41 President 8 they are beautiful cars, probably the best overall car Studebaker ever built.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Sam Roberts
02-10-2005, 12:38 PM
There is a good chance 1949 commander has seen this 1941 more than I have even! :D

quote:Originally posted by 1949commander

Welcome aboard,

The 39-42 Studebaker were very well regarded touring cars. They had a good independent front suspension "Planar" and many had overdrive, which in stock form allows them to cruise all day on modern highways at 65 mph. The 41-model year seems to be the most sought after today because of their very clean and up market style combined with very attractive interiors. They built three lines during 39-42, the entry model was the Champion, which was an all-new car for 1939, it had completely new driveline, chassis, body etc. The Champion 6 was one of the first American 6 cylinder engines that could withstand 5000 rpms on the dyno for more than 24 hours. They were one of the few all-new cars in the day that came out with little or no bugs. They were noted for excellent fuel economy and swept all the economy runs of the day with 25-27 MPG. The next model was the Commander series; this car did not share much at all with the Champion. Its body was larger in width and length and the chassis was different as well. The Commanders used a larger and completely different inline flathead 6 that displaced 226 CID. This engine is very smooth with lots of torque. Its roots date back to the Rockne series of 1932. Commanders with overdrive are great cruisers. The top of the line series was the President 8. These cars shared bodies with the Commanders but had a longer wheelbase to accommodate the President 8 engine. This engine was a record-winning engine, it is a small straight eight for its time for it only displaces 250 CID, but it was powerful at over 100hp, very smooth with 9 main bearings, and very fuel-efficient. The President 8 engine was discontinued after WW-2, rebuilding it is more costly than the other sixes since they were built for many years after the war. I have driven a 1938 President 8 and was impressed with the power, smoothness and willingness to rev. The car I drove had never been overhauled since it only had 40,000 miles.

Champions run from as little at $1000.00 to $15,000.00 for a nice one
Commanders $1500.00 to $20,000.00
Presidents are very rare and tend to be hard to price but I have seen 41ís listed as high as $35,000.00-$40,000.00

I hope to someday have a 41 President 8 they are beautiful cars, probably the best overall car Studebaker ever built.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Sam Roberts