This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Lark Vlll Cruiser

I recently saved a 1961 lark Vlll cruiser from a farm in Idaho. Can anyone tell me about this car. How many were made, size of motor and such. Thanks

For 1961, the Cruiser is the top of the line Lark sedan. For US sales, they only came in V8. For 1961, the base Cruiser engine was the 259 V8 and the optional engine is the 289 V8. 1961 Cruisers are among my top pick of Studebakers. I have owned three 1961 Larks, but not a '61 Cruiser model, yet. Fred K. Fox recently did a series of feature articles on the Cruisers in SDC's Turning Wheels. If you purchase the back issues, you will learn all about them.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Timm,
      Congratulations on your "new" Studebaker. Please take the advice that Studegary gave you and, in addition, join the Studebaker Drivers Club.
      I get a lot of magazines from various antique car clubs, and I can say, without any hesitation, that "Turning Wheels" is the best of all the magazines. You'll note the incredible leg room in the Cruiser, both front and back.
      Again, best of luck.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Every bit of info helps. I found in the owners manual in the glove box, the original window sticker for this car. I thought some out there might be interested in it so here it is:
        10 61V Y6 reg 8 4 dr sedan 2458.00
        13 P 6111 Ermine
        14 765A TNV 6 31.74
        19 flightomatic 199.50
        22 reclin seat split cush IRS 47.43
        26 tinted glass all windows 32.00
        32 289 cu in engine 49.50
        34 power steering 74.50
        35 4 bbl carb 21.52
        42 undercoating 23.50
        50 twin traction 38.93
        55 white sidewalls 30.07
        60 climatizer 71.00
        65 wheel discs 15.95
        66 back up lights 8.00
        68 front bumper gaurds 10.00
        68 rear bumper gaurds 10.00
        Manufacturers total suggested retail price $3121.64
        Also on the slip is south bend ind. This car was purchased new in 1961 by my wife's great aunt and bought by my motherinlaws family in the mid sixties. It was driven until 1972 and then sat until 1997 when my father in law had the motor redone. Lots of parts were still missing when he passed away a few of years ago. that is when I decided to take over. I now have the car driving nicely. I do need a few parts. Hope this is of interest to someone.

Comment

That is so neat, to have all that history of the car! The parts you will need should not be all that difficult to come by, and the real Studebaker enthusiasts will help all they can. Use this forum for what it is worth, you will do fine. Many of us can point you to vendors for various needs, but I can recommend Ted Harbit in particular for mechanical parts, Studebaker International for general repro stuff, and several used parts vendors as well. I do not recall where you are located, but if you want, email me for leads.

Also, the Michiana swap meet is the 1st weekend of May, usually a lot of vendors there, new and used. It is in South Bend, Indiana if that is not too far away.

The godfather of my Commander coupe told me years ago that parts availibilty for Studebaker was better than when they were being made, and I thought he was wrong, but as times passes, I realize he was right!

Enjoy that Studebaker, and never be afraid to ask questions, in our own way, we all want to be helpful.

quote:Originally posted by timm

Thanks for your replies. Every bit of info helps. I found in the owners manual in the glove box, the original window sticker for this car. I thought some out there might be interested in it so here it is:
          10 61V Y6 reg 8 4 dr sedan 2458.00
          13 P 6111 Ermine
          14 765A TNV 6 31.74
          19 flightomatic 199.50
          22 reclin seat split cush IRS 47.43
          26 tinted glass all windows 32.00
          32 289 cu in engine 49.50
          34 power steering 74.50
          35 4 bbl carb 21.52
          42 undercoating 23.50
          50 twin traction 38.93
          55 white sidewalls 30.07
          60 climatizer 71.00
          65 wheel discs 15.95
          66 back up lights 8.00
          68 front bumper gaurds 10.00
          68 rear bumper gaurds 10.00
          Manufacturers total suggested retail price $3121.64
          Also on the slip is south bend ind. This car was purchased new in 1961 by my wife's great aunt and bought by my motherinlaws family in the mid sixties. It was driven until 1972 and then sat until 1997 when my father in law had the motor redone. Lots of parts were still missing when he passed away a few of years ago. that is when I decided to take over. I now have the car driving nicely. I do need a few parts. Hope this is of interest to someone.
          Sam Roberts

Comment

timm,
            Thats COOL! As Sam said - so neat to KNOW what you do about the history of your Stude! There's damn few of us that know much about their Stude's past. I consider you lucky.[:0]
            Whaddya need for that Cruiser? I'll bet we can scare it up for you. Give us a list here and we'll sort it out.
            Looks like that thing was nicely appointed when new and it appears it's in good hands at this point.

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That is certainly a nice car. It was exceptionally well equipped with 289 V8, 4 bbl., TT, split recliners, etc. Sounds like a car that I would like to own, but it should stay in your family. Parts for that car shouldn't be a problem. I noticed Ted Harbit listed in a response. Ted is a nice guy, but he is no longer a parts vendor.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

By golly Gary you are right! I just got off the phone with Ted, and he sold out to Phil Harris, in Ohio, I think he said. Haven't seen him since out Xmas party in December, and he wants to devote more time to the Avanti race car.

quote:Originally posted by studegary

That is certainly a nice car. It was exceptionally well equipped with 289 V8, 4 bbl., TT, split recliners, etc. Sounds like a car that I would like to own, but it should stay in your family. Parts for that car shouldn't be a problem. I noticed Ted Harbit listed in a response. Ted is a nice guy, but he is no longer a parts vendor.
                Sam Roberts

Comment

Again, thanks for the replies. I have been quite excited about this car for a while and its nice to know that there are others that share my enthusiasm. My first intro to studes was in high school shop. My shop teacher drove an old pick up to school everyday. Don't know which year but it was cool.Parts for this car at this point are mostly aesthetic. I am missing some crome trim. First there is what I call the eyebrow above the passenger headlight.Next I am missing the crome pieces between the two doors on the drivers side. Also, several of the clips to hold the trim on are missing.(probably 20 or so.) Next is the door seals and rubber. They are all in pretty bad shape if not gone. I had to kick a lot of mice,mudwasps and spiders out of this car. Oh yeh, the right drivers window is gone too. The tracking for this window is bad too. Both bumpers are a little dented. I was going to take them to a local crome shop unless some one has a better suggestion. I am in Salt Lake City, Utah if that makes any difference on supplies. Thanks for your suggestions. Timm

Comment

Rubber seals, etc., are available at Studebaker International, they have a web site, and listed on most Stude related sites as well.

Door glassis easily done at any good glass shop, as it is flat glass. and I think you can use passenger side for a model for driver's side, and vice versa. ( if not I will be soundly reprimanded )

I think Sasco, in South Bend may have bumpers, but would not be show quality as I recall. There are a few sources for rechromed, Chuck Kinney, up in Michigan comes to mind quick for me, at least the last I knew he still was into that.

Again, thanks for the replies. I have been quite excited about this car for a while and its nice to know that there are others that share my enthusiasm. My first intro to studes was in high school shop. My shop teacher drove an old pick up to school everyday. Don't know which year but it was cool.Parts for this car at this point are mostly aesthetic. I am missing some crome trim. First there is what I call the eyebrow above the passenger headlight.Next I am missing the crome pieces between the two doors on the drivers side. Also, several of the clips to hold the trim on are missing.(probably 20 or so.) Next is the door seals and rubber. They are all in pretty bad shape if not gone. I had to kick a lot of mice,mudwasps and spiders out of this car. Oh yeh, the right drivers window is gone too. The tracking for this window is bad too. Both bumpers are a little dented. I was going to take them to a local crome shop unless some one has a better suggestion. I am in Salt Lake City, Utah if that makes any difference on supplies. Thanks for your suggestions. Timm
                    Sam Roberts

Comment

I have some photos of my car when we rescued it from my inlaws family farm. Also a more recent photo. Is it possible to post these on this site? If not is anybody inerested anyway. I am in the process of reuphostering the seats. big job. The old stuff certainly wasn't salvageable. I found the rubber parts that I need but still haven't found the tracking for the windows or the crome trim I need. Any suggestions. Timm

Comment

I have some photos of my car when we rescued it from my inlaws family farm. Also a more recent photo. Is it possible to post these on this site? If not is anybody inerested anyway. I am in the process of reuphostering the seats. big job. The old stuff certainly wasn't salvageable. I found the rubber parts that I need but still haven't found the tracking for the windows or the crome trim I need. Any suggestions. Timm
                        Heck yeah we wanna see it Timm! You can post 'em here but they have to be "stored" somewhere on a 'net server already, then you link to them to put them here. I have a place to put all the pictures you want. You're welcome to put 'em right here....http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/index.php Congrats on such a nicely equipped Cruiser!!!

Sonny
                        Sonny
                        http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Timm,
                          We are in the process of restoring a '61 four-door Lark Skytop. We've had to part out two other four-door '61s to gain parts, so we may be able to share with you what you need, especially the chrome. Please e-mail me with what you still need and I'll try to help. We are getting new rubber from Studebaker International, and we got a new interior from SASCO.

Will
                          starlightstude@att.net

"The Common Sense Car"
                          "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
                          '63 Lark "Lucy"
                          '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
                          A bunch of other Larks
                          '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

Comment

Your car is so cool!![8D] I hope you are able to post those pictures. I'd love to see them.[] My favourite Lark is the Cruiser! Great car, aptly named!!
                            Good luck! Keep us posted!!

Ronald K. Smith

Comment

I've owned two Cruisers - a 1964 model and my current car, the 1963 Cruiser equipped with the 289 cu V-8. These cars received scant notice until the prices of many Studebakers inched out of the affordability range of many Studebaker collectors. Studebaker Cruisers have appreciated in value but are still affordable and relatively plentiful. Your 1961 I know is particularly nice. Now if we can just do something about the desirability of those Studebakers that some members claim "have two too few cylinders and two too many doors...."

Comment

Working...
                              X