PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Champ

aarone
02-08-2005, 09:24 PM
I am interested in customising my 51 Champ but don't want to do the chevy engine thing so I was thinking of taking the Flat 6 that was originally in it and rebuiling it and converting the car to 12 volt pos ground, the trick part is I have a Kaiser Supercharger from that era as well and want to install it on the 6. I will also be putting an S-10 rear end in it and a Turner front disk break kit in but not sure if I shout firewall a master cylinder or leave it under the floor. I need all the input I can get.

Aaron http://www.aaroneckhoff.com

studegary
02-09-2005, 01:32 PM
For starters, the car does not have a "Flat 6." It has an inline flathead six cylinder engine. Bill Cathcart in Connecticut is the expert on modifying that engine and he supplies many speed parts for them. He advertises in SDC's Turning Wheels every month. If you plan on using the Kaiser supercharger, you would need to change the solenoid to one from a later car, such as a Studebaker. The Kaiser supercharger has a six volt solenoid and you plan on going with 12 volts. The six volt unit would have heavy enough windings, but I don't know if it would pull enough for 12 volt operation. Maybe someone else has first hand knowledge with this. I think that is commendable that you do not plan on going the "belly button" engine route. I personally would go with a shaved head, Old Car Fart's intake adapter and late model two barrel carb. and Cathcart's exhaust header and electronic ignition.

aarone
02-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Hey thanks for your help I want to here more from you, you sound very knowledgeable, like I said I am new to this. I do want to keep it as Studebaker as possible. I already put new rear brake cylinders in and am going to order new shoes. I do think I want to do something with the steering and master cylinder, do you have any suggestions?

although I am mechanically inclined I don't know much about engines, I can do basic work.

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by studegary

For starters, the car does not have a "Flat 6." It has an inline flathead six cylinder engine. Bill Cathcart in Connecticut is the expert on modifying that engine and he supplies many speed parts for them. He advertises in SDC's Turning Wheels every month. If you plan on using the Kaiser supercharger, you would need to change the solenoid to one from a later car, such as a Studebaker. The Kaiser supercharger has a six volt solenoid and you plan on going with 12 volts. The six volt unit would have heavy enough windings, but I don't know if it would pull enough for 12 volt operation. Maybe someone else has first hand knowledge with this. I think that is commendable that you do not plan on going the "belly button" engine route. I personally would go with a shaved head, Old Car Fart's intake adapter and late model two barrel carb. and Cathcart's exhaust header and electronic ignition.

Aaron

studegary
02-10-2005, 02:02 PM
First things first. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club (from this web site). You will get an excellent publication with all of the contacts that you need.

aarone
02-10-2005, 06:19 PM
I get it but thought I would get more from actually talking or messaging people directly alone with that.

quote:Originally posted by studegary

First things first. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club (from this web site). You will get an excellent publication with all of the contacts that you need.

Aaron

Sonny
02-15-2005, 06:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by aarone

I am interested in customising my 51 Champ but don't want to do the chevy engine thing so I was thinking of taking the Flat 6 that was originally in it and rebuiling it and converting the car to 12 volt pos ground, the trick part is I have a Kaiser Supercharger from that era as well and want to install it on the 6. I will also be putting an S-10 rear end in it and a Turner front disk break kit in but not sure if I shout firewall a master cylinder or leave it under the floor. I need all the input I can get.

Hi Aaron, and WELCOME aboard! I see that you have a bunch of different posts around the forums here, but I'll try to answer some of your questions here. I just got back from being on a trip for 9 days so this is the first chance I've had to answer anything.

In particular, that supercharger. It's a great idea, and do-able, BUT, if youíre starting with just the supercharger and no other associated parts, it's gonna take some bracket manufacturing, (precise machine work), plumbing, wiring and carb work.

The main problem youíre gonna have is that the old supercharged carbs were normally put in a sort of ďboxĒ, (it eliminated the need to pressure seal the carb for use with a supercharger). Iím sure sealing could be done with most any two barrel, (I think thatís what youíre gonna use, right?), but it would probably need to be done by a pro, or someone reeeeal familiar with that kind of carb work, (unless you make a suitable box, which is a lot more complicated than it sounds).

Next, the brackets are probably gonna be a bitch. They have to mount, (unique to the supercharger), and hold the SC tightly in alignment with the pulley that nobody makes for a 6 cylinder Stude engine. Yep, youíll have to make a crankshaft blower belt pulley too. Oh, and have I mentioned that youíll need to have some sort of ďtensionerĒ pulley setup for the belt? Best thing to do is look at the pictures of the blower setup mounted on a V8 and you'll get a good idea what it will take.

Then thereís the solenoid problem, but you can buy a 12 volt solenoid, (just bucks and change it).

Thatís the biggest hurdles that youíll have to start with, and Iím sure that thereís more. Iím not saying donít do it, Iím just trying to let you know what youíre in for. Iíd sure like to see someone do it!

As far as the master cylinder, it would be your choice, but I think you'll find that the wall mounted - hanging pedal setup would be easiest, (for a dual MC). You can adapt a dual MC under the floor, but it's a Pain In The Azz, and only really necessary if you need room under the hood or don't like the MC showing under the hood.

Not sure why you're going to all the trouble to put an S-10 rear in, (a hi-po Stude rear would be easier and suffice for a street car).

Hope this helps, (but I know it wasn't what you wanted to hear). :)

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

aarone
02-21-2005, 12:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sonny

Hi Aaron, and WELCOME aboard! I see that you have a bunch of different posts around the forums here, but I'll try to answer some of your questions here. I just got back from being on a trip for 9 days so this is the first chance I've had to answer anything.

In particular, that supercharger. It's a great idea, and do-able, BUT, if youíre starting with just the supercharger and no other associated parts, it's gonna take some bracket manufacturing, (precise machine work), plumbing, wiring and carb work.

The main problem youíre gonna have is that the old supercharged carbs were normally put in a sort of ďboxĒ, (it eliminated the need to pressure seal the carb for use with a supercharger). Iím sure sealing could be done with most any two barrel, (I think thatís what youíre gonna use, right?), but it would probably need to be done by a pro, or someone reeeeal familiar with that kind of carb work, (unless you make a suitable box, which is a lot more complicated than it sounds).

Next, the brackets are probably gonna be a bitch. They have to mount, (unique to the supercharger), and hold the SC tightly in alignment with the pulley that nobody makes for a 6 cylinder Stude engine. Yep, youíll have to make a crankshaft blower belt pulley too. Oh, and have I mentioned that youíll need to have some sort of ďtensionerĒ pulley setup for the belt? Best thing to do is look at the pictures of the blower setup mounted on a V8 and you'll get a good idea what it will take.

Then thereís the solenoid problem, but you can buy a 12 volt solenoid, (just bucks and change it).

Thatís the biggest hurdles that youíll have to start with, and Iím sure that thereís more. Iím not saying donít do it, Iím just trying to let you know what youíre in for. Iíd sure like to see someone do it!

As far as the master cylinder, it would be your choice, but I think you'll find that the wall mounted - hanging pedal setup would be easiest, (for a dual MC). You can adapt a dual MC under the floor, but it's a Pain In The Azz, and only really necessary if you need room under the hood or don't like the MC showing under the hood.

Not sure why you're going to all the trouble to put an S-10 rear in, (a hi-po Stude rear would be easier and suffice for a street car).

Hope this helps, (but I know it wasn't what you wanted to hear). :)

Sonny

Thanks for your input.
I will be keeping the original rear end after all, I am going to do some maint. on the rear brakes. I Thought Studebaker put superchargers on both 6's and 8's?? Can I purchase the pullies, belts, and carb box anywhere?

Roscomacaw
02-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Studebaker only put superchargers on V8 engines. Kaiser did so because they couldn't afford to adapt a V8 to their cars by the time the horsepower race was heating up. Since Kaiser didn't make their own engines anyway, they probably WOULD have outsourced for a V8 had they had the capital to make it feasible. That they put a blower on the Continental, flahead 6 they were using was just an attempt to match the V8 cars they were competing against.:(

Miscreant at large.

Sonny
02-21-2005, 02:27 PM

[quote]Originally posted by aarone

Thanks for your input.
I will be keeping the original rear end after all, I am going to do some maint. on the rear brakes. I Thought Studebaker put superchargers on both 6's and 8's?? Can I purchase the pullies, belts, and carb box anywhere?

WAY COOL! I just checked your site out Aaron and I see that you have TWO of my favorite Studebakers, bulletnoses! I REALLY like the '51 sedan, the one that you're working on now. Since it's a CA car, I expect that it may be in pretty good shape.

On the engine, I dunno if you know this but, any Studebaker V8 will slap right in that '51! Yep, not so easy for the '50, (a lot smaller under the hood), but you can put a performance V8 in it instead of trying to adapt the supercharger to the 6 cylinder! In fact, I gotta say, it's gonna be one hell of a deal to adapt the supercharger to the 6. You can, (and I would), put the supercharger on a V8, it's a LOT easier and probably cheaper!

You cannot buy parts to put that supercharger on your 6 cylinder. They all have to be made, (but mebbe you can adapt the early blower box to the 6 cylinder manifold with a specially made adapter). From what I see from your website, you're gonna have a nice car, either way, when you get finished.

Congratulations on your projects. Thanks for the website so we can keep track of ya while you're doing them!

Sonny

aarone
02-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Well again thanks. I didn't know that, and believe it or not I have 3 or 4 of those V8's laying around (not being sarcastic) some one just gave them to me and one or two of them will turn but I know for sure they need to be rebuilt because they have been out in the weather. I don't know how much needs to be done. I guess I need to find a local shop to take one or two of them to. I also have a 51 and 63 truck.

[quote]Originally posted by aarone

Thanks for your input.

WAY COOL! I just checked your site out Aaron and I see that you have TWO of my favorite Studebakers, bulletnoses! I REALLY like the '51 sedan, the one that you're working on now. Since it's a CA car, I expect that it may be in pretty good shape.

On the engine, I dunno if you know this but, any Studebaker V8 will slap right in that '51! Yep, not so easy for the '50, (a lot smaller under the hood), but you can put a performance V8 in it instead of trying to adapt the supercharger to the 6 cylinder! In fact, I gotta say, it's gonna be one hell of a deal to adapt the supercharger to the 6. You can, (and I would), put the supercharger on a V8, it's a LOT easier and probably cheaper!

You cannot buy parts to put that supercharger on your 6 cylinder. They all have to be made, (but mebbe you can adapt the early blower box to the 6 cylinder manifold with a specially made adapter). From what I see from your website, you're gonna have a nice car, either way, when you get finished.

Congratulations on your projects. Thanks for the website so we can keep track of ya while you're doing them!

Sonny