This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Champ

I am interested in customising my 51 Champ but don't want to do the chevy engine thing so I was thinking of taking the Flat 6 that was originally in it and rebuiling it and converting the car to 12 volt pos ground, the trick part is I have a Kaiser Supercharger from that era as well and want to install it on the 6. I will also be putting an S-10 rear end in it and a Turner front disk break kit in but not sure if I shout firewall a master cylinder or leave it under the floor. I need all the input I can get.

Aaron http://www.aaroneckhoff.com

For starters, the car does not have a "Flat 6." It has an inline flathead six cylinder engine. Bill Cathcart in Connecticut is the expert on modifying that engine and he supplies many speed parts for them. He advertises in SDC's Turning Wheels every month. If you plan on using the Kaiser supercharger, you would need to change the solenoid to one from a later car, such as a Studebaker. The Kaiser supercharger has a six volt solenoid and you plan on going with 12 volts. The six volt unit would have heavy enough windings, but I don't know if it would pull enough for 12 volt operation. Maybe someone else has first hand knowledge with this. I think that is commendable that you do not plan on going the "belly button" engine route. I personally would go with a shaved head, Old Car Fart's intake adapter and late model two barrel carb. and Cathcart's exhaust header and electronic ignition.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey thanks for your help I want to here more from you, you sound very knowledgeable, like I said I am new to this. I do want to keep it as Studebaker as possible. I already put new rear brake cylinders in and am going to order new shoes. I do think I want to do something with the steering and master cylinder, do you have any suggestions?

although I am mechanically inclined I don't know much about engines, I can do basic work.

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by studegary

For starters, the car does not have a "Flat 6." It has an inline flathead six cylinder engine. Bill Cathcart in Connecticut is the expert on modifying that engine and he supplies many speed parts for them. He advertises in SDC's Turning Wheels every month. If you plan on using the Kaiser supercharger, you would need to change the solenoid to one from a later car, such as a Studebaker. The Kaiser supercharger has a six volt solenoid and you plan on going with 12 volts. The six volt unit would have heavy enough windings, but I don't know if it would pull enough for 12 volt operation. Maybe someone else has first hand knowledge with this. I think that is commendable that you do not plan on going the "belly button" engine route. I personally would go with a shaved head, Old Car Fart's intake adapter and late model two barrel carb. and Cathcart's exhaust header and electronic ignition.
      Aaron

Comment

First things first. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club (from this web site). You will get an excellent publication with all of the contacts that you need.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I get it but thought I would get more from actually talking or messaging people directly alone with that.
          quote:Originally posted by studegary

First things first. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club (from this web site). You will get an excellent publication with all of the contacts that you need.
          Aaron

Comment

quote:Originally posted by aarone

I am interested in customising my 51 Champ but don't want to do the chevy engine thing so I was thinking of taking the Flat 6 that was originally in it and rebuiling it and converting the car to 12 volt pos ground, the trick part is I have a Kaiser Supercharger from that era as well and want to install it on the 6. I will also be putting an S-10 rear end in it and a Turner front disk break kit in but not sure if I shout firewall a master cylinder or leave it under the floor. I need all the input I can get.

Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Sonny

Thanks for your input.
              I will be keeping the original rear end after all, I am going to do some maint. on the rear brakes. I Thought Studebaker put superchargers on both 6's and 8's?? Can I purchase the pullies, belts, and carb box anywhere?

Comment

Studebaker only put superchargers on V8 engines. Kaiser did so because they couldn't afford to adapt a V8 to their cars by the time the horsepower race was heating up. Since Kaiser didn't make their own engines anyway, they probably WOULD have outsourced for a V8 had they had the capital to make it feasible. That they put a blower on the Continental, flahead 6 they were using was just an attempt to match the V8 cars they were competing against.

Miscreant at large.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by aarone

Originally posted by aarone

Thanks for your input.
                  I will be keeping the original rear end after all, I am going to do some maint. on the rear brakes. I Thought Studebaker put superchargers on both 6's and 8's?? Can I purchase the pullies, belts, and carb box anywhere?

WAY COOL! I just checked your site out Aaron and I see that you have TWO of my favorite Studebakers, bulletnoses! I REALLY like the '51 sedan, the one that you're working on now. Since it's a CA car, I expect that it may be in pretty good shape.

On the engine, I dunno if you know this but, any Studebaker V8 will slap right in that '51! Yep, not so easy for the '50, (a lot smaller under the hood), but you can put a performance V8 in it instead of trying to adapt the supercharger to the 6 cylinder! In fact, I gotta say, it's gonna be one hell of a deal to adapt the supercharger to the 6. You can, (and I would), put the supercharger on a V8, it's a LOT easier and probably cheaper!

You cannot buy parts to put that supercharger on your 6 cylinder. They all have to be made, (but mebbe you can adapt the early blower box to the 6 cylinder manifold with a specially made adapter). From what I see from your website, you're gonna have a nice car, either way, when you get finished.

Congratulations on your projects. Thanks for the website so we can keep track of ya while you're doing them!

Sonny
                  Sonny
                  http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Well again thanks. I didn't know that, and believe it or not I have 3 or 4 of those V8's laying around (not being sarcastic) some one just gave them to me and one or two of them will turn but I know for sure they need to be rebuilt because they have been out in the weather. I don't know how much needs to be done. I guess I need to find a local shop to take one or two of them to. I also have a 51 and 63 truck.[quote]quote:Originally posted by Sonny

Originally posted by aarone

Thanks for your input.

WAY COOL! I just checked your site out Aaron and I see that you have TWO of my favorite Studebakers, bulletnoses! I REALLY like the '51 sedan, the one that you're working on now. Since it's a CA car, I expect that it may be in pretty good shape.

On the engine, I dunno if you know this but, any Studebaker V8 will slap right in that '51! Yep, not so easy for the '50, (a lot smaller under the hood), but you can put a performance V8 in it instead of trying to adapt the supercharger to the 6 cylinder! In fact, I gotta say, it's gonna be one hell of a deal to adapt the supercharger to the 6. You can, (and I would), put the supercharger on a V8, it's a LOT easier and probably cheaper!

You cannot buy parts to put that supercharger on your 6 cylinder. They all have to be made, (but mebbe you can adapt the early blower box to the 6 cylinder manifold with a specially made adapter). From what I see from your website, you're gonna have a nice car, either way, when you get finished.

Congratulations on your projects. Thanks for the website so we can keep track of ya while you're doing them!

Sonny

Comment

Working...
                    X