PDA

View Full Version : Pulling off brake drums

chrysleritis
02-07-2005, 05:06 PM
The brake drums are really stuck. I mean, stuck, stuck, stuck.
I have a couple of different drum pullers -- one is a bit too big
for the small bolt circle on the hub of my 1950 Champion, but the
other one is the right size. I've used a really big hammer to smack
that puller, I've soaked the hub/axle keyway in penetrating oil,
I've heated the drum a bit. I'm stumped. Any advice?

Roscomacaw
02-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Apply that heat just around the hub cone area. Do this with the puller tightened and under tension. Then, after you've got the puller whacked tight really good, SMACK the very END of the puller screw. The resultant shock might pop the hub loose.

Miscreant at large.

BRUCESTUDE
02-08-2005, 11:43 PM
I'VE HAD VERY GOOD LUCK WITH USING AN AIR POWERED IMPACT WRENCH. USE THE CORRECT TYPE IMPACT SOCKET, AND LET IT WORK FOR SEVERAL SECONDS OR MORE. THIS WAY YOU DON'T RISK DAMAGING BEARINGS BY HITTING THE END OF THE AXLE WITH ABIG HAMMER.
GOOD LUCK-O[|)]

51studer
02-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Same here as mr. Biggs said. Mine sat for 38+ years without moving. I just cleaned as much crust from were the drum is around the hub/axle with sandpaper, tightened the puller and whacked the drum with a big rubber hammer.

DEEPNHOCK
02-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Remove the nut and put it on backwards so the end is flush wuth the threads so you don't mushroom the threads...
Knock the puller tight and smack the end of the puller hard with a big ol' hammer (rubber ones are too nice).. The nut will keep the hub from flying off and hitting your shins (btdt).. I cranked a puller way tight once (without putting the nut on backwards) and got mad and went in the house for the night. Came out the next morning to see a dent in the siding of the garage <lol>...
I've never used heat, or penetrating oil...
Just crank 'er tight and smack 'er a good one. But use the right puller...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 51studer

Same here as mr. Biggs said. Mine sat for 38+ years without moving. I just cleaned as much crust from were the drum is around the hub/axle with sandpaper, tightened the puller and whacked the drum with a big rubber hammer.

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
'61 Hawk
'37 Coupe Express
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Transtar60
02-13-2005, 08:12 PM
I use a 3lb hand sledge on mine. IF the puller is off sufficient heavy duty construction, crank down on the nut and then smack it with the hammer.

Make sure you put the nut back on backwards before doing this. The brake drum will release like a bullet and hurt anything that gets in its way.

I've done a couple that sounded like a rifle being fired.