This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petronix ignition

Anyone with experience with these kits please comment on which one to order. Please do not refer me to a wendor. I am interested in opinions
    of people that bought these. I am using a window type distributor.
    Pre 1965.

I've been using the Pertronix units in my Transtar and Lark - both equipped with window-type Delco distributors. Both have run well since installation.
    I have heard of a unit or two going south, but I myself, can't complain. Besides, if you carry a set of points and condensor in your glove box, you'll be prepared against a possible failure as it's easy to convert back.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I INSTALLED ONE ON A '63 MERCURY W/390 THAT I HAD A FEW YEARS AGO, AND IT WAS GREAT! I PULLED A 20' TRAILER WITH THIS CAR, AND WAS ALWAYS MESSING W/THE DWELL, BUT AFTER THE PERTRONIX, NEVER AGAIN! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE UNITS!

Comment

I installed the Pertronix unit in my 60 Hawk distributor and it's been fantastic so far. Had to slightly file down one edge of the module to get the tach sender to fit right. Didn't pay any attention to what model Pertronix it was as I ordered it from a trustworthy Stude wendor[8D] so I knew it was the right one to use.

-Webmaster
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I would like to suggest another option to you if you have any doubts about Pertronix. I personally have heard too many people complain about Pertronix kits leaving them stranded. I sent my window type distributor to "Daves small body HEI's" for a full HEI conversion and rebuild. He has designed a fantastic system that uses a full 12 volts, no need to run a ballast resistor. This is great if your car has a 12 volt system. I would recommend him to anyone. I have one of his distributors in my truck. It starts faster and performs better all thru the RPM range, and very dependable. He has a web site: www.davessmallbodyheis.com Total cost was $175, more than Pertronix, but my distributor was totally rebuilt also.

Ohio
          1930 Dictator straight 8
          1950 R16 Car Hauler 289/2 duece

Comment

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pszikszai

Anyone with experience with these kits please comment on which one to order. Please do not refer me to a wendor. I am interested in opinions
                of people that bought these. I am using a window type distributor.
                Pre 1965.
                Order #1181 and if you want to bypass the ballast resistor, order the 40011 40,000 volt Pertronix coil to go with it.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                X