This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless windshield mouldings

I am restoring a 1949 commander and have had no luck getting the stainless molding back in around the windshield and rear window. I have replaced the rubber and had a difficult time getting the rear window in. Now that I have them in I can't seem to get the stainless in the groove in the rubber. It doesn't talk about it in the service manual. I checked my brothers 1950 Plymouth manual since his car has similar molding and it says lube it with soap and work it in. I am beginning to think that the new replacement rubber is not exactly like the OEM. If it is no wonder Studebaker had such high labor rates. I don't think they had such trouble since I have production footage that shows the installation and it looks straight forward. Any Ideas???

Thanks

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

It has been many years (like 30) since I have worked on a '49 Commander, but most all Studebaker window trim goes in with the window. You place the stainless trim in the slot in the rubber with the rubber around the window and then lube the rubber and, with cord, put the window/rubber/trim assembly in place. I am sure that someone will correct me if I am incorrect in this case <G>.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You're the second one to say this, so I think you're right. The manual for th 47-50 models doesn't say anything about it. I imagine that it was common knowledge in the 40's how to put them in.

Thanks

Comment

Update,

I talked to Jim Turner and my original idea was right. ON models dating from 1952 back the windshield and rear window go in from the inside. This requires the installation of the Stainless trim AFTER the window is installed. He said take it to a local glass shop. It is obvious that the reproduction rubber has a different shaped groove, which is too narrow and is lacking some bevels that the OEM rubber had to ease installation of the trim. On top of the fact that the replacement rubber is slightly larger than OEM, which pinches the groove, closed.

Comment

Yeah, I meant to post to this thread but it slipped my mind after I looked it up. In my '47 shop manual (same glass and gasket as the 49s) it says to install the trim AFTER the glass and gasket are installed. This is contrary to what was done starting in 53 and thru to the last Studes built. With those later cars, the trim gets installed into the gasket along with the glass and the whole shebang is installed in the vehicle.

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, I stand corrected. I said that it has been 30 years since I worked on a '49 Commander. I made the mistake of assuming that it was the same as later postwar Studebakers. I don't look this stuff up. I just use my memory, which may be getting rusty on some fine details <G>.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X