X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 troubles

I have a 37 Dictaror Coupe.
    It has the big 6 with a 3speed. no overdrive.
    How can I make it more drivable at highwayspeeds?
    It seems to be at top end around 40mph. Also is it normal for the oil
    pressure to drop to around 2 at idel when warm? It is at 20 to 30 at driving speeds
    Thanks for any help

Overdrive was an available option that year, and would make a nice addition.
    Changing the ring and pinion ratio might help the highway cruising speed, but low speed takeoff would suffer a bit, and clutch wear would increase some.
    Before you go making it a 70mph cruiser, please make sure you have 70mph brakes.
    Oil pressure sounds low at idle. I would first check it with a separate gauge to comfirm the dash gauge reading. Has this engine ever been rebuilt?
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by fh929

I have a 37 Dictaror Coupe.
    It has the big 6 with a 3speed. no overdrive.
    How can I make it more drivable at highwayspeeds?
    It seems to be at top end around 40mph. Also is it normal for the oil
    pressure to drop to around 2 at idel when warm? It is at 20 to 30 at driving speeds
    Thanks for any help
    DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
    '61 Hawk
    '37 Coupe Express
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

thanks for answering me.
      The engine has been rebuilt. it was checked with another gauge.
      reads the same. it goes back up with just a litle gas.
      I have a friend that has a 34 dictator 4 door with over drive.
      He plans on updating it so I could have the over drive. will it fit? What do I do about the drive shaft? mine needs one45 5/16 with over drive but now has one 51 9/16. and funky u-joints.
      Thanks again for any help. have been a mamber of S.D.C since 1972 and S.D.C. since about 1992. I have been working on this car since 72' almost done

Comment

What weight oil are you using? You might be able to increase oil pressure by switching to something like 20W-50. I did that with my '59 Lark VI, which was running with low pressure. Since you stated that the engine was rebuilt, I would assume that the rings are new, as are the valves and valve guides.
        Also, keep in mind that when your car was built, most people only cruised at 30 to 40 mph. We didn't have any super highways back then.
        You don't really need to drive fast. As was stated, you have to consider the ability of your brakes to stop the car.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

With 20-30lbs. at speed, I don't think your '37 has much to worry about as far as the idle's concerned. Was the engine overhauled by you or as you were doing the resto? Two things you might check would be the oil pressure relief valve (at the front right corner of the block) and the oil pump itself, for wear.[^]
          I'm not a prewar expert but I can tell you that I have a sneaking suspicion that your friend's OD will not bolt up to your tranny. In fact, I feel like you'd experience problems trying to sawp in his whole tranny in place of yours. My suspicions are based on looking at the differences shown in the parts book between a '34 and '37 Dictator's trannies.[:0]

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I am using 30w nd. oil.
            I don't want to drive at super highway speeds .
            Up here in Northern N.Y. it is many many miles to any place.
            55 would great speed.

Comment

Did you ever get your driveline figured out on your Dictator??[?]

Comment

Curious...
                IIRC, overdrive was not offered in '34.
                If he, in fact, has overdrive, perhaps his driveline is of later vintage.
                That 'wierd' rubber biscuit driveline is very hard to find parts for. I know StudeGeorge in Tallahassee has this on his '38 and he has been searching for quite some time.
                If you find a good driveline shop, they should be able to build you up about any driveshaft setup you need. Fortunately, Studebaker vendor sourced their transmissions and differentials (mostly through Borg-Warner and Dana), so the parts were mass produced and are not impossible to find, if you look hard enough.
                Good luck on your project.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by fh929

thanks for answering me.
                The engine has been rebuilt. it was checked with another gauge.
                reads the same. it goes back up with just a litle gas.
                I have a friend that has a 34 dictator 4 door with over drive.
                He plans on updating it so I could have the over drive. will it fit? What do I do about the drive shaft? mine needs one45 5/16 with over drive but now has one 51 9/16. and funky u-joints.
                Thanks again for any help. have been a mamber of S.D.C since 1972 and S.D.C. since about 1992. I have been working on this car since 72' almost done
                DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                '37 Coupe Express
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

as for the drive line I am leaving it stock till I can find an over drive. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Jerry Kurtz is the expert on 37 Dictator overdrives, and 37 Dictators in general. You may have seen his 37 Coca Cola cabover in the ads for Trucking to Omaha 2006 in Turning Wheels.

holly@applearchery.com

5009 Bull Rd
                    Dover, Pa. 17315-1726
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I change in type of tire will effect diameter and can make changes in speed/power. Cooker Tire knows that stuff and will help.

Comment

Working...
                      X