PDA

View Full Version : Keep it running! 1948 Champion

KC Jim
02-05-2005, 07:02 AM
I have a 1948 Champion that has given me some issue with wanting to keep running.
First it was vapor lock. It took 15 months, two (unnecessary) tune-ups, one carburetor rebuild (didnít hurt too much$$) and then finally $4.00 worth of break line hose: re routed the fuel line away from the engine = no more stalling + easy to restart! (No wooden clothes pins!)
Now it does not run smoothly, give it gas and it goes, accelerates fine. Once you hit your cruising speed and let off the gas just a touch, it sputters and hesitates. Let off the gas altogether and coast, it idles fine. I have replaced the fuel filter, the carburetor is fine and it had that 2nd tune up less than 200 miles back. [u]Any clues or better yet a recommendation for a local (Kansas City) repair shop!</u>
OR - It can all be yours for less than $7,000.(US$)

BRUCESTUDE
02-05-2005, 10:28 AM
HAVE YOU LOOKED AT YOUR DISTRIBUTOR? SOMETIMES THE ADVANCE MECHANISMS STICK FOR LACK OF LUBE, AND DO WEIRD THINGS. THIS IS CHECKED BY USING A TIMING LIGHT, THEN ACCELERATING/LETTING OFF THE THROTTLE. JUST A THOUGHT, IF YOU'VE ELIMINATED ANY CARB PROBLEMS;IE STICKING FLOAT ETC.

Roscomacaw
02-05-2005, 12:18 PM
I think if it idles fine and it accelerates good, then there's something in a carb circuit. If you're capable of doing any work yourself, the carb is a pretty simple one to take apart and reassemble. I'd take it apart, use compressed air to blow through all the passages in the body of the carb - blowing back and forth through them several times and then reassemble it per instructions in the shop manual or a carb kit. Remount it and see what it runs like. Frankly, most shops anymore are not smart enough to work on these simple machines. I know that sounds like reverse logic but that's the truth of it. Most the so-called "technicians" can't fix anything that doesn't involve getting a computer readout from the car!:(

Miscreant at large.