This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 hawk won't start

My hawk is trying to start but won't. Does this mean the starter is going bad or the flywheel is missing a tooth. Not much on engine stuff. Any help welcomed.
    Thanks

quote:Originally posted by minordl

My hawk is trying to start but won't. Does this mean the starter is going bad or the flywheel is missing a tooth. Not much on engine stuff. Any help welcomed.
    Thanks
    We need a lot more information about what it is/isn't doing when it's trying to start, noises, (if any), obvious things, let us know if you did something already to help it, etc., etc..

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

The only noise the car is making is like when you turn the key, the engine sounds like it wants to start, but won't kick in. It is just draining the battery. I have made sure that the battery is fullly charged and have even tryed to jump it but it won't turn over.
      Thanks for any help.

Comment

If the starter motor spins rapidly, but the engine is not turning at all, you probably have a starter drive that is stuck on the starter shaft (rust), or possibly a broken starter drive gear, or possibly (but remote) a bad ring gear. Removing the starter, taking it apart and cleaning the shaft 'may' help. Getting a rebuilt starter, and then having yours rebuilt as a spare would probably be your best bet.
        Now..... If the engine cranks, but very slow... There are a few things to look for, before things get ugly...
        But check to make sure the starter motor is ok first.
        One step at a time.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by minordl

The only noise the car is making is like when you turn the key, the engine sounds like it wants to start, but won't kick in. It is just draining the battery. I have made sure that the battery is fullly charged and have even tryed to jump it but it won't turn over.
        Thanks for any help.
        DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
        '61 Hawk
        '37 Coupe Express
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Can you turn the engine over by hand, with a big wrench on the crankshaft bolt? When was the last time the engine turned over? If it has been over a couple of months, you should remove the spark plugs and put a squirt of light oil in each cylinder before you turn it. Let it sit for a few minutes before you try, to let the oil penetrate a little before you turn it. Then, while the spark plugs are still out, turn it over a couple of turns by hand to lube all the cylinders. Put the spark plugs back in (or put new ones in if they look bad), and make sure you put the plug wires back to the right plugs! Then try to start it again. It should be good for you after that. Don't use ether (starting fluid). If this doesn't work, let us know and we'll dig a little deeper.

Comment

If you have a Cingular phone with the roadside assistance option, you could just dial star-help. Otherwise, it sounds like it's time to go over a few different car phrases pertaining to starting an engine. "cranking" and "turning over" both mean that the starter is engaging into the flywheel and is causing the engine to reciprocate. You can tell cuz the fan is turning. If it "fires" at all, it will cause a sound like it's going to start. If it's out of gas, it won't sound like it's firing even if it is. I would put new points in it, myself. But first, I would push the gas pedal a few times with the breather off and see if I smell gas.

Comment

Working...
            X