PDA

View Full Version : C- cab question

2R5
02-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm in the middle of restoring a 2R5 and i found something that I'd just love to have someone explain to me what it was for.
Anyone that has done a C cab body off restoration will probably be able to figure out where I am talking about . The rear body mount bolts that are 9 inches apart at the rear of the cab go through a support tube that goes from side to side. I've been working at removing all the undercoating from the interior of the cab when i found some rust in this tube about 3 to 4 inches from one of these rear cab bolt holes. Turns out there was a 2 inch piece of foam rubber inside the tube at this location and I figure it had soaked up some moister and rusted the support tube from the inside out. I stuck a screw driver down along the opposite bolt hole and sure enough there is a piece on that side too. Haven't figured out how to remove this piece yet but I'm sure going to before I'm done.
My question is " why did Studebaker put those pieces in there " . If anyone has an answer or at least think they do , please let us all know.[?]

Roscomacaw
02-02-2005, 08:01 PM
That foam rubber sleeve is there to let the frame flex without tearing holes in the cab floor. Likewise, one front cab mount calls for a thick rubber dounut to allow for some "give" there as well.;)

Miscreant at large.

2R5
02-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Think I may have not explained it good enough. There is foam rubber inside this tube . You wouldn't know its in ther unless it rusted through ( like mine has ) Its nothing to do with the body mount.

Roscomacaw
02-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Well, looking at the parts book yeilds no clue as to what it is since it's not even listed there. There were other "bits" used to assemble these trucks that just aren't reflected in a parts list. Why is it there? Keep dirt in or out?
I've taken a number of C-cabs apart and never made note of this foam rubber, but the reason probably was that I never detected rust in that area.
For funsies, look at the frame drawing in the parts book. They show the cab's front mount points to be what are actualy the front ENGINE mount points! I had a chance to point this boo-boo out to the fella who was in charge of producing these parts manuals. He just chuckled and confessed that some things obviously got by him and his subordinates. 44 years after the last C-cab was assembled, some answers may never come to light - like those foam pieces.[}:)]

Miscreant at large.

Sam Roberts
02-03-2005, 08:19 AM
There could be a couple explanations here Big Guy, number one being that a production worker decided some foam laying around could be gotten rid of by jamming it in that tube.

Or, Studebaker decided the foam would deaden sound, much like Dana Corp. did in the late 1960s, thru early 1980s in driveshafts. Dana actually used corrugated cardboard, or a form of cardboard, to keep noise from travelling the length of the shaft, dampening any rear axle vibrations, etc.

Sam Roberts

Roscomacaw
02-03-2005, 11:27 AM
I suppose that could be it, Sam. Heck, I've found a South Bend Tribune bolted to the floor of a Commander! The body to frame bolts had been run right through the paper when the car was assembled. And of course, once the carpet was in and the seats bolted down - who knew? Probably, the guys on the line chuckled about that little trick at break time.[}:)]
I knew one fella that had worked at a Ford factory. He worked where they set the heads on V8s as they came down the line. He related how they'd stick a peanut butter or bologna sandwich in one of the cylinder bores just so they could watch the results as the engine got to where it was test run![:0]
Sound deadening? Maybe. But heaven knows there were LOTS other things Stude coulda done to those cabs to quell noise! [xx(]
As has been noted many times before, Studebaker didn't assemble these vehicles with an eye towards them being used some 50 years later. If they'd had that in mind, they sure could have done a better job of rustproofing!

Miscreant at large.

2R5
02-03-2005, 09:59 PM
That tube was formed by putting two pieces of sheet metal together , I would think the foam would of had to be put before they were spot welded . They had to be for sound but as you mention , the rest of the truck wasn't ! .....anyways we'll see what its like without them because when I'm done they won't be there . Anyone out there who has an old hulk of a C-cab ...go cut that tube and see if they have them.

Sam Roberts
02-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Just an addenda to the driveshaft posting I made. Most tubing used in quantity is made on what is called a " tube mill ", meaning flat coil stock is fed in at one end, and formed by a series of rollers ( shapers ) that form it into a tube, and a continuous weld is applied, and at the end of the " mill " it is chopped off into long bar lengths. From there it was cut to desired lengths for whatever the purpose. Where I am retired from had capability of making tubing from 1 1/4 X .065 (wall thickness ) to 4 1/2 X .134 .

AFAIK mass production of exhaust systems are done in a similar fashion. Since South Bend is about 100 miles from where Dana had this tube mill, and we did make driveshafts for Studebaker, I am wondering if this tubing also might have been made there.

Having said all that, and not being familiar with the tube, and your description, it may not be the same thing at all.

quote]Originally posted by 2R5

That tube was formed by putting two pieces of sheet metal together , I would think the foam would of had to be put before they were spot welded . They had to be for sound but as you mention , the rest of the truck wasn't ! .....anyways we'll see what its like without them because when I'm done they won't be there . Anyone out there who has an old hulk of a C-cab ...go cut that tube and see if they have them.
[/quote]

Sam Roberts

Roscomacaw
02-04-2005, 08:26 AM
It's a "tube section" Sam. As I recall, it's actualy sorta rectangular in cross-section - not round.
BTW, I've got a couple of Rambler driveshaft sections out back that still have the cardboard dampner in them.:)

Miscreant at large.

Sam Roberts
02-04-2005, 12:55 PM
I just could not visualize the tube I guess. [?] Thanks for the explanation Bob. What I get for butting in on a truck thread. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

It's a "tube section" Sam. As I recall, it's actualy sorta rectangular in cross-section - not round.
BTW, I've got a couple of Rambler driveshaft sections out back that still have the cardboard dampner in them.:)

Miscreant at large.

Sam Roberts