This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle Shaft

So in trying to pull a rear brake drum off my 1950 Champion, I badly bent up
    the end of the rear axle shaft. I forgot to put the axle nut back on when I put the puller
    on before torquing down on the puller and, well, so now the end of the axle is trashed
    and the threads are destroyed. I have a few options (assuming I can eventually get
    the drum and shaft out) -- remachine the existing axle shaft. Probably not worth
    the trouble. Or I can get a used one someone is parting out. There is a guy with a
    1951 Champion rear axle shaft for only $35 (plus shipping), which sounds good, but
    I don't know if the 1951 shaft is compatible with the 1950 Champ. I _think_ the 1949
    axle shaft would work, but I don't know -- that's just what someone told me.

I have a parts book for 1950, and it gives the Stude part number for the axle shaft
    as 521954, but I don't have a parts book for 1951 or 49. Can anyone assist me on
    this? I'd love to just have the 1951 one work out and just grab that relatively cheaply...

[:0]

The part# for a '51-2 Champion axle is 530449.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Shaft may be salvageable, but quite a bit of trouble.

Comment

A good '50 axleshaft shouldn't be that hard to find.[:I]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Give Bill Cathcart a try, he had a number of NOS Studebaker axles in stock the last time I've visited him. Here is his website:
          cathcartsstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, cathcartsstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1960 Lark Convertible
          1962 GT Hawk
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I had an axle shaft off a '51 Commander rethreaded at a local machine shop, price: $5. Maybe yours is in worse shape, at least give it a try, and buy a new nut also, for safety sake.

Comment

Bruce. I'm not sure what the difference might be but your Commander axle shaft carries a different part # than what he has.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Working...
              X