This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust killer

I am always looking for a better method or product to use for treating and killing rust. I use a couple of products that work real well as long as the item is submerged or kept "washed" with it. Have used por15 and have had some real issues with it even after following the instructions to a T. I have been looking for something that I can use on verticle services with out constantly washing down the item. I found this product (picklex-20) and ordered some to try. Talked with a body shop that sells it and with the company that makes it, sounds almost to good to be true. Was first formulated to make welds stronger and found out that it is a great rust treatment product. Anyway, I have a 53 Stude hdtp that the owner stripped and never primed, that I will be testing on. Will let you know how it turns out.

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT

Stude folks are always looking for a "magic bullet" to kill rust with. I'm curious to hear your experiences with this new stuff.[]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've had good results from a product called "RUST DOCTOR". I found it on line at rustdoctor.com. The part I like best about this product is it seals the metal with a latex primer after converting it to a black [magnetite ?] surface. This is not an endorsment but it worked for me on my floors and around the truck area where the weather strip goes. Dclewallen

Darryl C. Lewallen
      Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

I've wondered about using JASCO for spot rust treatments, which is a phosphoric acid product used to prime metal, usually before painting. I have some hard to reach areas, like in the inside of the front and main crossmembers, that I'm unlikely to be able to paint effectively, but would like to be able to use a solution in a spray bottle. JASCO can be used that way. It leaves a powdery residue that should be washed off before painting, but I'm wondering if it can just be left on if not painting...like in hard to reach places. Has anyone had experience with that. What is better to use inside a crossmember, clean motor oil, or something like JASCO sprayed? I know it's just a temporary solution until a full restoration can be done.

Comment

I can tell you that JASCO works fine but it won't keep the metal rust free over time. You have to paint it or use some kind of metal protectant for lasting protection. [8D]

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X