This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving the fuel pump on an early V-8

The fuel pump on my 53 232 V-8 is mounted in front of the carb [in the way and the pump itself does'nt appear to be a common one].Is there an easy way to move it down on the timing cover like the later model V-8 engines did? Can I just swap covers and remove the pump oil fill contraption? Thanks dclewallen P.S. Still trudging along on the 5-speed swap [waiting on some parts]

Darryl C. Lewallen

Yes, you can move the fuel pump pretty easily. Besides what you see on the outside, there is also a part that mounts to the front of the cam inside that gives it another lobe to move the pump lever, and a longer bolt to hold it together. Or, do like a lot of people do and go to an electric pump.

Comment

That pump IS kinda obscure and therefor expensive to replace. Not only is it in the way there but it's prone to promoting vaporlock up there.
      If you go the electric pump route, be sure to use a pressure regulator.

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Since I haven't seen the later Stude. V-8 engines up close, just the 232 I have, exactly what parts do I need other than the cam eccentric for this conversion? Thanks, dclewallen

Darryl C. Lewallen
        Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dclewallen

Since I haven't seen the later Stude. V-8 engines up close, just the 232 I have, exactly what parts do I need other than the cam eccentric for this conversion? Thanks, dclewallen

Darryl C. Lewallen
          I haven't ever tinkered with the 232 Darryl, so we are in exactly the opposite positions. BUT, I'm thinkin', (from what I know about the late model V8s), the front cover, pump concentric, fuel pump and front cover should get ya goin'. I'm betting that there's not too much different in there, Studebaker liked to K.I.S.. [^]

Are you seriously considering changing the setup? If so, you'll want the new rubber type, crank seal, are you gonna be at York?

Sonny
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

No I'm not going to be at York, I'm down here in the Ga. mountains, but on the pump topic, Who would be a good source for these parts? My friends are suggesting that instead of moving the pump I just remove the manual one and install an electric one but I'm not sure about that yet. Thanks for the reply and info, dclewallen

Darryl C. Lewallen
            Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

I'm definitely gonna be near you Darryl, I'm gonna be going down to buy a place in Gaston, SC, or around that area somewhere. BUT, I wouldn't miss York fer nothin'!

You can get a front cover from any scrap, late V8, and I'm sure that somebody has an old scrap engine laying around that you could get the front cover and the parts you need. How soon would you need it? We can put the word out right here and you can ask on the NG too.

The electric pump is a good way to go too. I like that just as well, and if you don't want to pull the engine apart right now, it's the best way. Mount the pump on the frame as close to the tank as you can, (they always do a better job pumping fuel to the carb. than they do trying to drag the fuel all the way up to the front of the car). Then, just pull the old pump with it's entrails, plate the pump mount holes, run the fuel line directly to the carb, and voila!

You're always very welcome for any help we can give Darryl, I just hope it helps.

Sonny
              Sonny
              http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Yeah, I've got the aforementioned parts here if you decide you want them. The cover and the cam lobe, that is. For a fuel pump (mechanical for the late Stude V8s), you can go to a vendor OR get one from NAPA. Just ask for their # M2211 Carter pump. That's what fits the late Stude V8.[^]

Miscreant at large.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                X