This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 coupe express

Has anyone put a Heidts front end under a 37 coupe express or car? If so, which one did you order? I am trying to start building a coupe express for my brother but a lot of his parts are missing after being moved between several body shops. It doesn't look like we are going to get them so I wondered about the Heidts. After talking to Heidts, we need measurements but the cross member and axle is gone too so I am not sure about how accurate my measurements could be. Would appreciate any advise.
    Herman

Yep, Jeff Rice has done one. He'll be here and be all over this for ya any minute!

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Well, Steve Doerschlag in Colorado built his Coupe Express with a Heidt's front end, but he had it done for him so I am sure the numbers you seek were not recorded...
      I know of another one that had a FatMan front end put in....And it was just massaged into place.

There really isn't anything special about either kit (except Heidt's are nicer...and more $$)...

Biggest measurements they will need are the OEM frame width and height (frame rails) and spacing (side to side) right over the centerline of the front axle. Then they will want to know the measurement of the frame rails (and rail width) so many inches back of that mark (both width and height)and then the same forward of the axle centerline. Then they can build you the crossmember that will fit without too much extra work.

Where are you at (or where is the CE at?) Maybe I could give you a hand...
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 32 coupe

Has anyone put a Heidts front end under a 37 coupe express or car? If so, which one did you order? I am trying to start building a coupe express for my brother but a lot of his parts are missing after being moved between several body shops. It doesn't look like we are going to get them so I wondered about the Heidts. After talking to Heidts, we need measurements but the cross member and axle is gone too so I am not sure about how accurate my measurements could be. Would appreciate any advise.
      Herman
      DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
      '61 Hawk
      '37 Coupe Express
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff, Thanks for responding to my questions about the 37. I had to be out of town for a few days and I apologize for not thanking you before this.
        I live in southern Oklahoma and I surely appreciate you even offering to help. I am building this for my brother who has been waiting for others (who only wrenched or torched it down to bare frame) to put it back together for him. I have built street rods (not custom mind you) and stock cars before but I can honestly say I have never started one with so many parts missing.
        We really need the measurements of the front axle from backing plate to backing plate and the others numbers that we asked about originally and we have nothing to go by with this frame. I guess we are really looking for someone with this vehicle who wouldn't mind taking a tape to it and giving us their numbers. The front ends are way to expensive to make a mistake ordering.
        Thanks again for answering and giving us your input.
        Herman

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 32 coupe

Herman

Comment

you can get most of the measurments for the 37 from the shop manual.page 87a -101

Comment

fh929,
              Where can I get the shop manuel you mentioned? I have the frame set up level on I beams and am squaring it up now. Checked out a front end locally today but nowhere close to what I need so I guess it will be the Fat Man or Heidt next. I called about the two yellow Coupe Express in one of the hot rod magazines but they were both sold ($100,000 and $150,000) so the guy couldn't measure the front axles for me. They both had Heidts. I called the guy in Indiana who built them but he didn't order the front ends, they were already with the trucks.
              I hope the manuel you mentioned is available. Thanks for you help.
              Herman

Comment

I Have a 37 cpx truck with very good sheetmetal, is anyone interested in purchasing, Thanx FRED

Comment

I installed a Fatman front on my '40 coupe and it was simple as can be.I called up Fatman and they had the frame specs.Parts came in and after careful measuring we welded it in place.Fit perfect.
                  Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

The 1937 shop manual has all the frame dimensions. it has the front cross member dimensions too.

Comment

The shop manualis fromStudebaker International 97 North 150 west Greenfield In. 46140-8562 317=462-3124

Comment

Working...
                      X