PDA

View Full Version : Questions on the New Process 5 speed truck trans

Studeboy
01-25-2005, 10:49 AM
I was thinking of trying to locate a New Process 5 speed with O/D for my Stude truck to replace the 4 speed it has now. I was wondering what all would be needed to do this swap. I have heard that the bell housings for the 4 speed are different from the 5 speed. Is this correct? What, if anything else, is different and what would I have to locate besides the transmission. Another option would be installing a later model trans out of some other type of truck. Has anyone ran across an easy swap? My truck is an R16. I dont think the Ford car transmission would hold up. Maybe something out of a brand X 1 ton truck?

Ohio
1930 Dictator straight 8
1950 R16 Car Hauler 289/2 duece

Roscomacaw
01-25-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm not gonna tell you that you can't find a NP 5-speed but I CAN tell you it's gonna be a tough search. And when you DO find one that's in good shape, be prepared for sticker shock![:0]
The bellhousing's different, so's some of the clutch linkage. And there's differences between big and small trucks. Kinda hard to spell out specifics when you've already got a Stude V8 in your truck. A truck that never saw a V8 originally.
If I had a truck like yours, I'd be wanting OD in it. Is that what you're trying for? A Ford car tranny would work so long as you didn't expect it to see much of a load on the truck. I'd suggest you find a T-89 O/D tranny like's used in Stude pickups. It's alot beefier than the T-86 like Ford and Stude used in V8 cars. Of course, then you have to devise a shifter or dig up column shift fixin's from a Stude.[|)]

Miscreant at large.

arkiejazz
01-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Mr. Biggs is right on the mark. A NP 5spd/OD is going to run you from $800-$1,200....and depending on the ratio of your rear end, you may not be happy with the result. I think the OD is 1/16th or 1/17th reduction only. You might have a better result with the 5spd direct, depending on your rear gearing

steve blake

Roscomacaw
01-26-2005, 06:52 PM
The OD 5-spds have a 15% advantage in O/D as opposed to the 3spd OD trannys that have a 30% advantage in O/D.[^]
My factory installed 5spd in the 63 Champ I once owned, was working in front of 4.09 rear gears and it was a great combo. I used to get about 17MPG tops on the road. But that truck would pull stumps in low and cruise nicely in 5th. Sure wish i hadn't sold it!;)

Miscreant at large.

Studeboy
01-26-2005, 07:45 PM
My truck has a single speed rear end with 6.66 gear ratio, and has 8.25x20 tires on it. Any percentage of O/D would be a help. Keep your eyes open for me.

Ohio
1930 Dictator straight 8
1950 R16 Car Hauler 289/2 duece

studeblu
01-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Studeboy I think you should change the gears in your rear while you wait to find a 5 OD. I had a 5:13 rear in my 8E13 and a 5 speed direct
and it had a top end of about 60 with the engine screeming. I found a GM rear from a one ton box van that was just about a bolt in with 4:11 gears and that made a big improvment.I did find a 5 OD that is now in it. I can now run 75 MPH on the freeway at just 2800 RPM.

Jerry (studeblu)
64 E13 Transtar
53 Coupe
53 2R6 pickup

Roscomacaw
01-26-2005, 10:58 PM
For that matter, how about a "Brownie" in-line Overdrive unit? Then all you have to do is a bit of driveshaft adaption.;)

Miscreant at large.