This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on the New Process 5 speed truck trans

I was thinking of trying to locate a New Process 5 speed with O/D for my Stude truck to replace the 4 speed it has now. I was wondering what all would be needed to do this swap. I have heard that the bell housings for the 4 speed are different from the 5 speed. Is this correct? What, if anything else, is different and what would I have to locate besides the transmission. Another option would be installing a later model trans out of some other type of truck. Has anyone ran across an easy swap? My truck is an R16. I dont think the Ford car transmission would hold up. Maybe something out of a brand X 1 ton truck?

Ohio
    1930 Dictator straight 8
    1950 R16 Car Hauler 289/2 duece

I'm not gonna tell you that you can't find a NP 5-speed but I CAN tell you it's gonna be a tough search. And when you DO find one that's in good shape, be prepared for sticker shock![:0]
    The bellhousing's different, so's some of the clutch linkage. And there's differences between big and small trucks. Kinda hard to spell out specifics when you've already got a Stude V8 in your truck. A truck that never saw a V8 originally.
    If I had a truck like yours, I'd be wanting OD in it. Is that what you're trying for? A Ford car tranny would work so long as you didn't expect it to see much of a load on the truck. I'd suggest you find a T-89 O/D tranny like's used in Stude pickups. It's alot beefier than the T-86 like Ford and Stude used in V8 cars. Of course, then you have to devise a shifter or dig up column shift fixin's from a Stude.[|)]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs is right on the mark. A NP 5spd/OD is going to run you from $800-$1,200....and depending on the ratio of your rear end, you may not be happy with the result. I think the OD is 1/16th or 1/17th reduction only. You might have a better result with the 5spd direct, depending on your rear gearing

steve blake
      steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
      http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

The OD 5-spds have a 15% advantage in O/D as opposed to the 3spd OD trannys that have a 30% advantage in O/D.[^]
        My factory installed 5spd in the 63 Champ I once owned, was working in front of 4.09 rear gears and it was a great combo. I used to get about 17MPG tops on the road. But that truck would pull stumps in low and cruise nicely in 5th. Sure wish i hadn't sold it!

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My truck has a single speed rear end with 6.66 gear ratio, and has 8.25x20 tires on it. Any percentage of O/D would be a help. Keep your eyes open for me.

Ohio
          1930 Dictator straight 8
          1950 R16 Car Hauler 289/2 duece

Comment

Studeboy I think you should change the gears in your rear while you wait to find a 5 OD. I had a 5:13 rear in my 8E13 and a 5 speed direct
            and it had a top end of about 60 with the engine screeming. I found a GM rear from a one ton box van that was just about a bolt in with 4:11 gears and that made a big improvment.I did find a 5 OD that is now in it. I can now run 75 MPH on the freeway at just 2800 RPM.

Jerry (studeblu)
            64 E13 Transtar
            53 Coupe
            53 2R6 pickup
            Jerry (studeblu)
            37 Coupe Express project
            59 Pick up driver
            40 President sedan driver

Comment

For that matter, how about a "Brownie" in-line Overdrive unit? Then all you have to do is a bit of driveshaft adaption.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Working...
              X