This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Bearing Change???

A stude big end rod takes a rod bearing that fits a 2" rod journal on the crankshaft. A pre 68 SBC also uses a 2" rod journal on their cranks. The width of a SBC 2" rod bearing is slightly less than a stude rod bearing by a few thousandths. Question challenge is: Could a SBC rod bearing fit and crush ok into a Stude Big End rod and be used on the Stude rod journal. Or is the SBC rod beaing to thick for adequate crush clearance or notched differently. They are soooo cheap compared to what vendors want for rod bearings. Thanks.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers

I hope somebody can answer this one, I'd like to know too. There's a lot more choices in bearings if they work. I dunno too much about the inside of a Chevy engine.[]

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Good question...
      I have a set of SBC rod bearings at home and some Stude rods..
      I'll look. I wonder if the tabs are in the same places, and if the chamfers on the sides are similar...
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 11SecAvanti

A stude big end rod takes a rod bearing that fits a 2" rod journal on the crankshaft. A pre 68 SBC also uses a 2" rod journal on their cranks. The width of a SBC 2" rod bearing is slightly less than a stude rod bearing by a few thousandths. Question challenge is: Could a SBC rod bearing fit and crush ok into a Stude Big End rod and be used on the Stude rod journal. Or is the SBC rod beaing to thick for adequate crush clearance or notched differently. They are soooo cheap compared to what vendors want for rod bearings. Thanks.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers
      DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
      '61 Hawk
      '37 Coupe Express
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The OD of the Chevy small block (older engines) bearing is a little larger. I don't remember if the tabs are close or not (I will look). The rod would need to be resized for this. The difference in width is not a problem.

David L
        David L

Comment

The Chevy rod bearing tangs are opposite of the Studebaker so even with rod big end resizing you couldn't use them unless you cut new groves for the slots.

David L
          David L

Comment

Why do you want to put a Chevy Bearing in the Stude engine?? New Stude bearing are available from many different Stude vendors. Plus there is more to a bearing that just its diameter. Most Stude engines used obrounded bearings so the dia accross the rod length is different than its horizontal Diameter. This is so the bearing fits tighter side to side and free in the area where the highest load is so proper oil film is achieved. There is a reason SBC bearings are so cheap, try pricing them from Performance GM division and you'll see that GOOD SBC bearings are not so cheap. People are so misinformed about GM parts since there are hundreds of aftermarket outfits many with cheap poor quality parts. There is a lot more to a part than making it fit. I work in an engineering company and know first hand that not all parts are created equal.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

I have heard, but have no personal experience, that the newer bearings don't last as long as the originals. Just what I've heard...

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              62 Daytona hardtop
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The Studebaker rod bearings are not hard to come by. They do cost a fair amount more than even the high performance versions of other makes but it would not be worth switching with a standard Studebaker rod. If you have new rods built then it makes good sense to use something else like the 2 inch SBC bearing.

So I agree keep using the Studebaker rod bearing. By the way the are current part numbers with Federal Mogal (1785CP)

David L
                David L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 1949commander

Why do you want to put a Chevy Bearing in the Stude engine?? New Stude bearing are available from many different Stude vendors. Plus there is more to a bearing that just its diameter. Most Stude engines used obrounded bearings so the dia accross the rod length is different than its horizontal Diameter. This is so the bearing fits tighter side to side and free in the area where the highest load is so proper oil film is achieved. There is a reason SBC bearings are so cheap, try pricing them from Performance GM division and you'll see that GOOD SBC bearings are not so cheap. People are so misinformed about GM parts since there are hundreds of aftermarket outfits many with cheap poor quality parts. There is a lot more to a part than making it fit. I work in an engineering company and know first hand that not all parts are created equal.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with '49commander about not reengineering these rod bearings. About 99.5% of the reengineering done to our automobiles to make something "better" or make something fit is done by people who had trouble graduating high school. And remember that an engineer has had 4-5 years of indepth college and usually many years experience after that. I've seen so many mickey mouse things done to the Avanti I'm working on that it makes me sick---some of the things I've seen would make Mickey blush in embarassment. This is not intended as a criticism of the person posing the initial question as it is a valid question. But when you start reengineering things .....well, use a lot of care-----and I'm no engineer, just one who is TIRED of the crap I've seen. And the comment on using Stude parts so these items are continuingly being remanufactured couldn't be said better. Thanks for the use of the soapbox.

Comment

Working...
                    X