This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 pickup

Hi, I'm new here. I've had a studebaker all my life. If you want to say that. My grandfather bought a 1964 commander wagonair in 1965. I have it!

Troy and I aquired a 1946 pickup. It is different than others I've researched. It has a pop out windshield. It's a m1520. I have pictures. It runs, has a flathead engine in it.From what we've been told, it's a military truck. Not much rust. Some though. Bed is in decent shape. VERY low gears. Heavy duty rear end. Dual rear tires. Big red rims. Wondering if somebody could tell us what it is worth.

Thanks
    Cari.

Dual wheels on a pickup Cari? Check it over a bit and see if you can come up with some numbers on any of the tags on the body, it would be easier to give you a better idea about what it's worth.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Ok, I have numbers somewhere.. I have the title and registration too. I don't know how to send pictures in this forum, but I can show you.

Cari.

Comment

Great! It's easy to post pictures but they have to be on an internet sever already, you actually just link to them. You can put them here, then link to them. http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/index.php

Sonny
        Sonny

Comment

Somewhere under the hood on the firewall should be a cab tag that should read something like M15-C9. And Sonny one tons were available with dual wheels or modified later with stock parts.

More good info on Studebaker Trucks is available @

Easy to use website building tool for your professional or personal website and blog, web hosting, domain registration, email and more at Tripod.com!

and this forum
          Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

is part of that web page and is searchable for postings relating to M15 trucks and all other Stude truck questions asked for last 5 years.

M15C9's were Studebaker civilian trucks(with militay cabs) authorized by the War Production Board for limited production. They could be considered 1945 model trucks.

Comment

Ok, lets try this

Thank you Sonny for the space!

Transtar60, yes, that is what I believe it says m15-c9. And We've been told that it was a civilian truck with a military cab (left overs from the war?)

The rear end indicates it might be a 2 1/2 ton? Is that possible?

Gee.. Thanks for all the replies!

Cari.

Comment

Well the rear end is most likely not the original . It maybe off an 1 1/2 or 2 ton Stude truck or brand x, not stock. Or perhaps an home made adapter put on the original rear and two extra wheels, the rear outside tires are completely outside the fenders, Stude would never let that off the factory grounds.

Only 2 1/2 ton trucks Studebaker built were US6 and the REO designed M35 series deuce and halfs for the Army.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by TroynCari

Ok, lets try this

Thank you Sonny for the space!

Transtar60, yes, that is what I believe it says m15-c9. And We've been told that it was a civilian truck with a military cab (left overs from the war?)

The rear end indicates it might be a 2 1/2 ton? Is that possible?

Gee.. Thanks for all the replies!

Cari.
                Great! That worked fine, and you're very welcome Cari, please feel free to put as many pictures there as you like. In fact, it would be nice if ya kept track of the restoration, as it goes along, with a nice picture album.

Tha's one wild, heavy duty lookin' truck. I think the rear end was user installed, but the rest of it looks pretty solid and "do-able". Hope you're planning on a re-do Cari, that IS an unusual configuration and ya just don't see the old M-series trucks much. Good luck and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Sonny
                Sonny

Comment

Thanks Sonny, We're trying to figure out it's worth now. As is. We have many projects and are trying to determine whether or not we want to jump into this one, or let go of it.

Cari.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by TroynCari

Thanks Sonny, We're trying to figure out it's worth now. As is. We have many projects and are trying to determine whether or not we want to jump into this one, or let go of it.

Cari.
                    Hmmm... Figuring the worth is kind of a tough one Cari. I hate to say it but as they say, "ebay will let you know what it's worth". But, in my own, honest, humble opinion, I would think that it could bring something around a couple grand, mebbe a little less. I'm sorry that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I really don't keep up with the truck stuff.

Sonny
                    Sonny

Comment

Cari, An M1520 pickup with military(C-9) cab is one of the rarest M series trucks made.Very few were built,and hardly any have survived.Definitly worth restoring.(HOPEFULLY STOCK)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 45 tonner

Cari, An M1520 pickup with military(C-9) cab is one of the rarest M series trucks made.Very few were built,and hardly any have survived.Definitly worth restoring.(HOPEFULLY STOCK)
                        I wonder if it was a real late C-9 M15. Reason is, I think most of the 45s had steel panels on the door like the US6. From the photos, it looks like it might have had the board panels like the civilian trucks. My eyesight bad?

There is a great photo of a whole lot of M15's on one of the chapter heading pages in the Studebaker Century book. Best part is the photo is at night and looks great.

My 7E7 - Restored by my Uncle Denson in 1995

Comment

Hmmm, The idea that it's that rare (and I'd heard that before , but was doubtful) makes us want to research more. I know that there is a place to write to to get the spec sheet on it. What was it called.. Production sheet? That would tell us what it was when it was born. Anybody know where I can find that?

I hate to tell you what we paid for it. But, knowing it would be an investment, we knew we couldn't loose.

I believe it is a c9 model.. it's under the hood that way. I have all the numbers. Engine number included. I also know it was a working farm truck for many years. So modifications are very possible. We suspected that the dual tires were add-on's as well, due to the fenders. Unless the adapter had been removed. The hardware that holds the second tires on is studebaker, as well as the rear end. Like I said before.. Very low gears.. I'd suspect 589 or something like that.. maybe lower.

What I need to do is get Troy on here and let him tell you more specifics.. He's the one who has done most of the crawling around under it.. Though, I have to admit, I'm under it with him.

Thanks for all the information!

Cari.

Comment

all the interior panels are steel. they are not currently installed but i do have them all. i also have all of the glass and trim, in good condition except for the rear window which is broken.

the reason i am trying to find a value for the truck is because when i bought it i was looking for a work truck that i could drive daily. to do that i would make changes for safty and convience. then someone told me our truck might be rare. if it is i would hate to change and modify it.

Comment

Cari,If you have time,go to the Studebaker truck talk forum that transtar 60 mentioned.Post a message for Frank Drumheller regarding the scarcity of your truck.He's the resident authority on the C-9 cab trucks.I agree that the dually rear end was probobly added on as the M15-20s only came with single rears. Mike B.

Comment

Working...
                              X