This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Studebaker, new forum poster

Hey everybody. I posted a couple weeks ago about a Champion I was going to buy.
    So I bought it. Had it flatbedded to my garage yesterday. Engine runs well, but brakes
    are badly seized up. Will need a total brake job. And how's a hill holder work?

1950 Champion DeLuxe, 2 door business coupe. No serious rust. Got it out of the rain
    just in time, though. 46,000 miles. It had a service tag in the glove box for an oil
    change at 42,500 miles. In 1975.

Sweet ride! Black plate car too.
    Love those Fulton visors (but those prisms are expensive)...
    The HillHolder works this way... When you step on the brake and push the clutch pedal in.....
    Then let off the brake pedal....the brakes stay on (without your foot on the brake pedal)..as long as the clutch pedal is in..
    Then you can manipulate the throttle with your right foot, and the clucth with your left foot. As soon as you have let out the clutch, the brakes release.
    Sonny's your bulletnose guy... He'll fall in love with your pic's.
    Welcome!
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by chrysleritis

Hey everybody. I posted a couple weeks ago about a Champion I was going to buy.
    So I bought it. Had it flatbedded to my garage yesterday. Engine runs well, but brakes
    are badly seized up. Will need a total brake job. And how's a hill holder work?

1950 Champion DeLuxe, 2 door business coupe. No serious rust. Got it out of the rain
    just in time, though. 46,000 miles. It had a service tag in the glove box for an oil
    change at 42,500 miles. In 1975.

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
    '61 Hawk
    '37 Coupe Express
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

WELCOME[8D]
      Cool old iron, love that bullet-nose! Keep us informed of the progress of resto.
      dan0

Stuff:
      1941 M15...retirement project
      1953 2R11... daily ride
      2001 F-350 Super Duty Lariat to haul it all..
      1989 Caprice Classic Brougham
      Sexy! 67' John Deere 112H

Comment

Biz Coupes are my favorite of this era Stude. Especially the bullet-nosed ones. They just seemed more "balanced" in their appearance. I've got a '51 here that's disassembled. Someday.
        Damn thing looks pretty solid. Brakes shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get working again.
        Jeff pretty well told how the Hill Holder works. Of course, it only comes into play on a positive incline. This is effected by a caged steel, ball valve that rolls backwards in it's chamber when the car's facing uphill. On level ground or facing downhill, it plays no active part in the braking system.
        When you go to redo the brakes, DON'T try to take it apart to clean it. Simply remove it and flush it good with Alcohol several times. Or until you stop getting gunk out of it. And don't forget to bleed it via the slotted screw on top when you're bleeding the brake system.
        You have to "adjust" the rod from the clutch linkage once you get the brakes ready to go again. You try to adjust it for the smoothest transition. That's to say so the brakes just release as the clutch starts to take hold when you're letting up on the clutch pedal. It's a cool item. And you can show all your friends that it certainly wasn't Subaru that invented it - as they would have you believe.

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

.................Sonny's your bulletnose guy... He'll fall in love with your pic's.
          [quote]

<LMAO> Yepper, I'm lovin' the pictures for sure. [] The car looks like it's solid as hell! I'm jealous! [:I] Beautiful car find chrysleritis! They're STILL out there! Just keep us posted on what you're gonna do with it will ya?

Sonny
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Awww, now that's sweet one. You never see too many of the bulletnose style at the shows, and they certainly are a rarity on the street. What a great one to have, not many biz coupes left I suspect, from Studebaker's best year ever (they sold a total 320,884 1950 cars). This one looks great, hardly even used. I like the painted headlight trim. Have fun with it.
            Tim K.
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
            X