This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifold flow in a 232

I'm trying to install a progressive two barrel carb in my 53 coupe. The guy I get my carb from says it won't work on a V8 because it is progressive. I suspect he's thinking of a dual plane manifold. Does anyone know if this applies to the stock 51-54 engines?

Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI

I've seen such mounted on a 232. Fact is, I recently sold a pair of carbs and the linkage for such that had come off a Stude V8. I didn't SEE the manifold they'd been mounted on but I talked a bit with the guy that had taken the stuff off a Stude.[B)]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It should work just fine Tom.
      The early V8 (and supercharged Golden Hawk) intake manifolds are an open plenum manifold. Your carb guy would be correct if it was a later model 2bbl manifold that is indeed a 'dual plane'. After making up that adapter, I went to Stephen Cade's and we pulled a NOS manifold out to look at it. There is no way to machine it to take a 4bbl, but a progressive 2bbl mounted like you are contemplating should be ok. Now, if you were to orient it like the stock one, you might be 'fat' on one bank and 'lean ' on the other bank...but with your orientation that adapter will even things out just fine.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

I'm trying to install a progressive two barrel carb in my 53 coupe. The guy I get my carb from says it won't work on a V8 because it is progressive. I suspect he's thinking of a dual plane manifold. Does anyone know if this applies to the stock 51-54 engines?

Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI
      DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
      '61 Hawk
      '37 Coupe Express
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That's what I thought. It's been a long time since I've looked down into the manifold, but I remember just a single opening. Thanks for the reinforcement.

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

It should work just fine Tom.

Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '60 Lark VI

Comment

Tom,
          Do you mean two 2bbl carbs with progressive linkage between them or one progressive 2bbl carb? If you are talking one carb, I haven't seen one of those big enough to run a Stud V8. If that's what you mean, what exactly is it?

-Dick-
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Tom,
            Do you mean two 2bbl carbs with progressive linkage between them or one progressive 2bbl carb? If you are talking one carb, I haven't seen one of those big enough to run a Stud V8. If that's what you mean, what exactly is it?

-Dick-
            The carb I have in mind is a single two barrel, the secondary one opens up after the primary.
            There seems to be a Holly Weber 5200 which will flow 270 CFM. This should be enough to support a 232 up to 4700 or so, which should be enough for general driving.

Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '60 Lark VI

Comment

270 CFM should work. Is your goal to improve gas mileage?
              -Dick-

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yes, I remember getting 24 mpg with this car 45 years ago, (it's averaging 17.5 now) I want it back. I wouldn't mind a little more power, too.

Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe
                '60 Lark VI

Comment

Working...
                X