Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking to buy 63 Avanti - What to look for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to buy 63 Avanti - What to look for?

I will be looking at an Avanti this month. It is a R2 with aprx 80,000 miles. What should I look for? Paxton Super charger are they fragile? Hog Tough what is it and what do I look for?
    Thanks Ted

Ted,
    The Paxton's not frail. It's a good unit and a real treat to drive. Avanti's weaknesses are leaks (rain leaks!), rusted frames and rusty hog troughs. The hog troughs are a support piece integrated with the car's floor. They're there to provide rigidity to the fiberglass body. If they're rusty to the point of being perforated, they won't provide the necessary strength. They are a BITCH to replace, but replacements are available.
    Look behind the upper rear seat cushion for fuel tank leaks. They have a propensity to do that. Look at the rearmost crossmember of the frame - it's tubular - and it has a reputation of rusting away. Ya wanna check the whole frame for rust anyway. Being as the car is fibreglass, one tends to forget that it sets on a frame that's susceptible to salty road conditions. [V]
    Really, just look at the general overall condition of the car. Is it gonna need lots of cosmetics and such to make you happy with it? Is the seller assuring that it's only got this "little" problem or that to make it a great car? [:0]
    There's a phrase to carry in the back of your head when you look at an Avanti. This phrase was coined by a fella who knows these cars well and has dealt with them for years. That phrase goes: "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti". The inferrance being that if you buy one cheap, the resultant bill to make things right will flabberghast you![:0]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sonny
      http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Great, Thanks for this It will give me a good idea of what to look for. If anything else comes to mind please do not hesitate to add a respose. Ted

Comment

Great, Thanks for for help. I do want to buy one in good to great condition. It is always cheaper to buy well then to fix poor. If you have any other hints please do not hesitate to add to your comments. Ted
          quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Ted,
          The Paxton's not frail. It's a good unit and a real treat to drive. Avanti's weaknesses are leaks (rain leaks!), rusted frames and rusty hog troughs. The hog troughs are a support piece integrated with the car's floor. They're there to provide rigidity to the fiberglass body. If they're rusty to the point of being perforated, they won't provide the necessary strength. They are a BITCH to replace, but replacements are available.
          Look behind the upper rear seat cushion for fuel tank leaks. They have a propensity to do that. Look at the rearmost crossmember of the frame - it's tubular - and it has a reputation of rusting away. Ya wanna check the whole frame for rust anyway. Being as the car is fibreglass, one tends to forget that it sets on a frame that's susceptible to salty road conditions. [V]
          Really, just look at the general overall condition of the car. Is it gonna need lots of cosmetics and such to make you happy with it? Is the seller assuring that it's only got this "little" problem or that to make it a great car? [:0]
          There's a phrase to carry in the back of your head when you look at an Avanti. This phrase was coined by a fella who knows these cars well and has dealt with them for years. That phrase goes: "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti". The inferrance being that if you buy one cheap, the resultant bill to make things right will flabberghast you![:0]

Miscreant at large.

Comment

If the ONLY thing wrong with the car is the rear crossmember, that's not a deal killer, they are available repro and can be easily welded in. I'm talking about the tubular thing at the very rear of the frame. Rust anywhere else on the frame has to be assessed separately; I believe repair "plates" for the bottom of the frame are available for most of the frame, but they are obviously more work to repair properly.

nate

--
            62 Daytona hartop
            64 Daytona convertible (in boxes)
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
            X