PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy 63 Avanti - What to look for?

lube_sales
01-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I will be looking at an Avanti this month. It is a R2 with aprx 80,000 miles. What should I look for? Paxton Super charger are they fragile? Hog Tough what is it and what do I look for?
Thanks Ted

Roscomacaw
01-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Ted,
The Paxton's not frail. It's a good unit and a real treat to drive. Avanti's weaknesses are leaks (rain leaks!), rusted frames and rusty hog troughs. The hog troughs are a support piece integrated with the car's floor. They're there to provide rigidity to the fiberglass body. If they're rusty to the point of being perforated, they won't provide the necessary strength. They are a BITCH to replace, but replacements are available.
Look behind the upper rear seat cushion for fuel tank leaks. They have a propensity to do that. Look at the rearmost crossmember of the frame - it's tubular - and it has a reputation of rusting away. Ya wanna check the whole frame for rust anyway. Being as the car is fibreglass, one tends to forget that it sets on a frame that's susceptible to salty road conditions. [V]
Really, just look at the general overall condition of the car. Is it gonna need lots of cosmetics and such to make you happy with it? Is the seller assuring that it's only got this "little" problem or that to make it a great car? [:0]
There's a phrase to carry in the back of your head when you look at an Avanti. This phrase was coined by a fella who knows these cars well and has dealt with them for years. That phrase goes: "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti". The inferrance being that if you buy one cheap, the resultant bill to make things right will flabberghast you![:0]

Miscreant at large.

Sonny
01-09-2005, 05:45 PM
You hit on both of the "special interest" areas for the Avanti Ted, otherwise it's pretty much like lookin’ over a regular ol’ car. (Well, mebbe except for the front disc brakes.) Anyway, the hog troughs are the two, fairly large, metal "enclosures" underneath the door sills. They were put in as body stiffeners, and had no real way to drain moisture or debris. Unfortunately they aren't very heavy metal, and if the car was driven in states where they used salt on the roads, the hog troughs "melted". That and the Avanti has an extra X-member in the frame.

SO, first find out if was a snow belt car, then, (and even if it wasn't a snow belt car), the best way to do it is to get right down on the ground and look underneath, starting at the door sills, You'll be able to recognize the hog troughs. If there is ANY holes in that metal, poke and prod further. The hog troughs can be replaced, but not easily and it's definitely not cheap. Oh, while you're under there, run your hand along that X-member and look for flaking rust.

The supercharger, and the assorted components are actually quite hardy, that is if you're not prone to continuous street racing. :) Parts are still available for everything in the supercharger system. There's really no real fragile component, the superchargers can be rebuilt, and it's normally not a real prohibitive price. The supercharger uses automatic transmission oil for lubrication, in a reservoir in the supercharger itself. The fluid has to be checked and changed at regular intervals, and I would recommend that they are not overlooked.

Other than that, if the car has AC and the radio doesn't work, it's HELL to get the radio out to fix it. That, and look the dash pad over carefully for cracks, damage, etc., as they are very expensive. Most all of the parts for an Avanti are pretty much readily available but expect them to cost more than "standard" Studebaker parts. The engine definitely has Avanti specific parts. As far as the brakes, make sure the front brakes and rotors are in good shape, parts are rare, hard to come by and expensive, (but there is aftermarket setups to replace the whole stock setup).

All I can think of right off the top of my head, hope it helps.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

lube_sales
01-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Great, Thanks for this It will give me a good idea of what to look for. If anything else comes to mind please do not hesitate to add a respose. Ted
quote:Originally posted by Sonny

You hit on both of the "special interest" areas for the Avanti Ted, otherwise it's pretty much like lookin’ over a regular ol’ car. (Well, mebbe except for the front disc brakes.) Anyway, the hog troughs are the two, fairly large, metal "enclosures" underneath the door sills. They were put in as body stiffeners, and had no real way to drain moisture or debris. Unfortunately they aren't very heavy metal, and if the car was driven in states where they used salt on the roads, the hog troughs "melted". That and the Avanti has an extra X-member in the frame.

SO, first find out if was a snow belt car, then, (and even if it wasn't a snow belt car), the best way to do it is to get right down on the ground and look underneath, starting at the door sills, You'll be able to recognize the hog troughs. If there is ANY holes in that metal, poke and prod further. The hog troughs can be replaced, but not easily and it's definitely not cheap. Oh, while you're under there, run your hand along that X-member and look for flaking rust.

The supercharger, and the assorted components are actually quite hardy, that is if you're not prone to continuous street racing. :) Parts are still available for everything in the supercharger system. There's really no real fragile component, the superchargers can be rebuilt, and it's normally not a real prohibitive price. The supercharger uses automatic transmission oil for lubrication, in a reservoir in the supercharger itself. The fluid has to be checked and changed at regular intervals, and I would recommend that they are not overlooked.

Other than that, if the car has AC and the radio doesn't work, it's HELL to get the radio out to fix it. That, and look the dash pad over carefully for cracks, damage, etc., as they are very expensive. Most all of the parts for an Avanti are pretty much readily available but expect them to cost more than "standard" Studebaker parts. The engine definitely has Avanti specific parts. As far as the brakes, make sure the front brakes and rotors are in good shape, parts are rare, hard to come by and expensive, (but there is aftermarket setups to replace the whole stock setup).

All I can think of right off the top of my head, hope it helps.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

lube_sales
01-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Great, Thanks for for help. I do want to buy one in good to great condition. It is always cheaper to buy well then to fix poor. If you have any other hints please do not hesitate to add to your comments. Ted
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Ted,
The Paxton's not frail. It's a good unit and a real treat to drive. Avanti's weaknesses are leaks (rain leaks!), rusted frames and rusty hog troughs. The hog troughs are a support piece integrated with the car's floor. They're there to provide rigidity to the fiberglass body. If they're rusty to the point of being perforated, they won't provide the necessary strength. They are a BITCH to replace, but replacements are available.
Look behind the upper rear seat cushion for fuel tank leaks. They have a propensity to do that. Look at the rearmost crossmember of the frame - it's tubular - and it has a reputation of rusting away. Ya wanna check the whole frame for rust anyway. Being as the car is fibreglass, one tends to forget that it sets on a frame that's susceptible to salty road conditions. [V]
Really, just look at the general overall condition of the car. Is it gonna need lots of cosmetics and such to make you happy with it? Is the seller assuring that it's only got this "little" problem or that to make it a great car? [:0]
There's a phrase to carry in the back of your head when you look at an Avanti. This phrase was coined by a fella who knows these cars well and has dealt with them for years. That phrase goes: "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti". The inferrance being that if you buy one cheap, the resultant bill to make things right will flabberghast you![:0]

Miscreant at large.

N8N
01-11-2005, 10:54 AM
If the ONLY thing wrong with the car is the rear crossmember, that's not a deal killer, they are available repro and can be easily welded in. I'm talking about the tubular thing at the very rear of the frame. Rust anywhere else on the frame has to be assessed separately; I believe repair "plates" for the bottom of the frame are available for most of the frame, but they are obviously more work to repair properly.

nate

--
62 Daytona hartop
64 Daytona convertible (in boxes)
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel