This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Studebaker Champion, frame swap

Hi guy's,,I'm new to this board,From Mission British Columbia. Canada.
    I have an ever growing stable of cars,,1960 and 1964 Thunderbirds,etc,,
    I just picked up a 1950 Studebaker Champion,,,the body is not to bad,it was origionaly from the U.S. and probably a west coaster.
    The floor's are gone but all the rest of it is there,including the origional six cylinder & transmision,I was thinking of doing a frame swap,,so's i can get all the updated goodies, one guy suggested a chevy S10 frame,,has anyone here done a frame swap on a 1950 Champion?
    I'm looking for Low Buck solution's cos i dont have a Ton of money.
    After some consideration i may elect to sell this car,,,but for now i'm doing my research.
    Any help would be appreciated.[]

" I shoved my foot down on the gas pedal, and there i was *Gone*"

While I've not done a frame swap of any sort, I know of a fella that did put an S-10 under a Champion ragtop of that vintage. I seem to recall that the only work he had to do to the car of any account was some modification of the trunk floor to accomodate something about the frame.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome Thunderbucket! We have other fellas from BC that frequent here, and it's always better when we have more. I have a '50 Starlight coupe, and lucky that the floors are solid. The funny thing is, I bought mine in Canada! I dunno if yours was from Cali. because they're usually very soild from there, but ya never know..

Anyway, I can't help with what frame works easiest with the '50, I'm putting a supercharged Studebaker engine and drivetrain in mine, (a LOT cheaper and easier), but hope someone can help. I just wanted to say welcome and keep us updated on your progress if ya can. Any pictures?

Sonny
      Sonny
      http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Here's some pics of the stude for ya sonny;
        Mr.Biggs i heard somewhere's that the rear section of frame which goes over the axle on the 50 Stude's,,actualy widens a bit,,

P.S. Thanks for the Welcome guy's[8D]

Comment

I know that there is a guy in New Hampshire that put a '51 on an S10 chassis and then put a '50 nose piece on it. I also know of a '50 that a guy in Maine put on an ElCamino chassis.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Thunderbucket

Mr.Biggs i heard somewhere's that the rear section of frame which goes over the axle on the 50 Stude's,,actualy widens a bit,,

Thanks a million Thunder! What a beauty! It's just a diamond in the rough. [^] As far as the frame widening over the rear end, you'll have to look at your car to be sure, but even that shouldn't be much of a problem. Studebaker body mounts are basically flat, and building a couple of mounts from what ever frame you decide on should be a piece-o-cake. It's always great to see that a fella can look at a car that needs it all and has the perception to "do" it.

Sonny
            Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Here's a site with a '50 Stude on a 4x4 S-10 chassis w/T-bird IRS, and a caddy eng. Just awesome!

Webshots, the best in Desktop Wallpaper, Desktop Backgrounds, and Screen Savers since 1995.

And the page I got it from (down near the bottom... Utahtorque's post)

The forum is about puttin' AWD on a hotrod.

I'm puttin' a 4x4 S-10 under my Conestoga wagon but will use it for 'mountaineering' instead of boulevard cruising. This'll help on those icy mountain passes...[8D]

My pics here: http://www.pbase.com/conestogaman

'54 Studebaker Commander Conestoga wagon 'junkyard rescue gonna-be hotrod'
              '54 Studebaker Champion Conestoga wagon 'all original thanks to the Commander'

Wheels down, shiney side up, drive it like you stole it!

Comment

WoW,,,,i'm absolutely Stoked!!
                Thanks alot fella's,,,,this is gonna go along way to helping me retrofit my stude to another frame,,,,,,Keep it coming.

Comment

Sonny I have a 51 Champ that as a running flat 6 and someone gave me a Kasier Supercharger I want to install it on the 6...any advice?

quote:Originally posted by Sonny

Welcome Thunderbucket! We have other fellas from BC that frequent here, and it's always better when we have more. I have a '50 Starlight coupe, and lucky that the floors are solid. The funny thing is, I bought mine in Canada! I dunno if yours was from Cali. because they're usually very soild from there, but ya never know..

Anyway, I can't help with what frame works easiest with the '50, I'm putting a supercharged Studebaker engine and drivetrain in mine, (a LOT cheaper and easier), but hope someone can help. I just wanted to say welcome and keep us updated on your progress if ya can. Any pictures?

Sonny
                  Aaron

Comment

Aaron - Please refer to my response to your question in the General Forum.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If I may ask, how much did you pay for that one. I am looking for another 51 Champ to buy for parts if it is cost worthy.
                      quote:Originally posted by Thunderbucket

Aaron

Comment

Just my two cents. I have been working on a buddies 51' chevy two door deluxe. We swaped out the old frame with an 84' cutlass rolling chassis, you know engine, brakes, fuel tank, driveshaft, well everything but the body. All that was needed was about 9" extended in the middle and the rear trunk floor was modified. It's really slick the way it came out. I'm sure you could find an old cutlass or monte carlo for about a grand or less if they don't run.

Comment

Working...
                        X