PDA

View Full Version : How to set lifters on my 50 champ

50starlite
01-03-2005, 04:56 PM
I need some help here. The shop manual talks about setting the lifters like the engine is setting on a bench. How much trouble is it to get the covers off and see what you're doing? My 63 ohv was a snap, this looks impossible without some major disassembly.

Thanks

50starlite
01-14-2005, 09:58 PM
O.K., so mobody knows how?

Roscomacaw
01-14-2005, 10:51 PM
I've done it a number of times. It's not the handiest thing to do but it's not rocket science either. If you wanna get the engine hot first, before you adjust the valves - your choice. I don't like working around a hot manifold! I adjust the valves cold and add .002 to the clearances called out.
You almost have to have some "tappet" wrenches. They're really just open end wrenches but they're thinner than regular open end wrenches so they don't interfere with one another. One holds the lifter from turning while the other turns the adjustment screw. Naturally, the cylinder you happen to be adjusting should be on TDC of the compression stroke while you adjust the valve for that particular cylinder.
Make sure you get the side cover gasket back in place and don't overtighten the two bolts that hold it in place. Also remember that solid lifters should have just a slight bit of noise to them when they're right. ;)

Miscreant at large.

Sonny
01-15-2005, 12:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by 50starlite

O.K., so mobody knows how?

Somtimes it takes a little bit before we can get to the forums, I just put 10 hours in at my son's new house. :) I dunno, some days it seems like a fella gets 5 answers in 5 minutes, other times it's a day or so. It would be nice if all the lurkers would jump in here and help too starlite. :)

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

50starlite
01-29-2005, 02:14 PM
The manifolds must be removed first, right? I know how to set lifters, the problem is getting to them on this 1950 Champion engine.

The intake/exhaust manifolds are directly over the galley covers so it looks impossible to adjust the lifters without removing them.

I'm sure they have never been removed (28K mi. orig.) and replacing a broken stud is not a fun way to spend an evening.

I guess I know what needs to be done, just wishing for a easier way.

Regards, Dick