PDA

View Full Version : 59 Prototype article

Kdancy
01-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Just recieved and read my TW. Thought the article on the 59 Prototype was great! Isn't it amazing when you think nothing really new will turn up--- than all of the sudden something like this article is there ! Thought the car was really nice and would have succeded.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

Roscomacaw
01-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Well, I can only hope I get to read it before half of January's shot! I usually don't see my copy until the second week of the month!:(

Miscreant at large.

Kdancy
01-02-2005, 07:36 AM
That is the reason I would like to see every add in TW posted on the net at the time of TW printing.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

N8N
01-02-2005, 07:51 AM
While I would as well, I think that some people might drop their subscriptions should that happen, as there are probably some people whose main interest in TW is items for sale.

Perhaps we could modify that idea and make that a "members only" section available only to SDC members?

nate

--
62 Daytona hartop
64 Daytona convertible (in boxes)
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Sonny
01-02-2005, 02:14 PM
I can't see where there would be much conflict if all the car ads were posted on the website AND in TW. Look at it this way, there's a lot of people who don't use the computer, let alone look for cars on the computer, putting the ads in the TW would serve them. Others, like myself, use the computer a LOT, but aren't focused on TW for the car ads, although I DO look 'em over. I look more at ebay or many, many other places for Studebakers for sale. (Hell, from what I've seen of the ads, I can't afford any of 'em anyway :)). In all fairness, posting the ads on the website and TW would serve everybody.

Ya know what's humorous about this question? This is actually a moot point anyway. If somebody is "hustling" cars for a profit, then they can get the TW sent first class to beat everyone else to the cars, (just like they've been doing for all these years anyway). My suggestion, make sure the car ads are posted on the website 5 days after the TW goes out, so people who don't get their TW for weeks will be able to see what the "for profit" crowd has already beat them out of.

Bottom line, and everything else aside, we have to stop thinking of the SDC as a business that focuses on the pockets of people who pay the SDC to be associated with other people who love Studebakers. This is a member owned car club, and by God, I'm tired of hearing that anything/everything that the SDC does for the membership has to be done at a profit! Damn it, the BEST run non-profit organizations have zeros in both columns at the end of the year! I keep saying it, and saying it, but once again, the focus of this club MUST return to serving the wishes and best interests of the owners.......

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

studegary
01-02-2005, 06:19 PM
The Turning Wheels ads are posted online a reasonable amount of time after Turning Wheels is mailed. This gives SDC members an edge over non-members. A members only section to the web site is a goal.
In general, I agree with Sonny about SDC. I have made many motions to give back to the membership, like reducing the membership fee, improving Turning Wheels paper, including more color pictures in Turning Wheels. I have been consistently voted down on all proposals.

Kdancy
01-03-2005, 09:22 AM
I have always loved the TW for all the Studebaker info that is in it. The tech section and model details are always very helpful. The adds are a bonus. I personally don't buy the argument that a bunch of subscribers will choose not to recieve their TW if the adds are put on the net at publication time. This would also enable the advertiser to have much more timely adds. The present system gives the dealers to much of an advantage over the rest of us as far as the cars and parts adds, they buy the "bargins" for resale while we are still waiting to receive our TW's, and that goes for first class as well-- I tried that for a couple of years and my uncle was still getting his third class ahead of mine part of the time. With the net, whether you are in Fla, California, Canada or South Africa the timely on line adds give you a much more fair timeline for us.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

lvanw
01-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I also would like to see the car adds posted from the TW on line
John