This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2bbl Carb Adapter

Tom Bredehoft in Ohio is putting a progressive linkage 2bbl carb on his '53 232 V8. He sent me a nice blueprint to work from, and I whipped him up an aluminum adapter. Tom will let me know how his projects works once it gets all installed. (Another reason to get that 2bbl manifold and answer Sonny's questions about carb height and modifying this manifold).
    Some pic's are up at:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/239758997Eavalq
    Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
    '61 Hawk
    '37 Coupe Express

Neat as sneakers Jeffster! Looks pretty danged good. Keep us up on the road test will ya? One question, and mebbe Tom can answer this one, how close is the Webber base to the base on the "old" Ford Autolite, 2 barrel, in size? It looks pretty close. I'll bet that an old Ford two barrel or the Holley two barrel, would really wake up a Stude with that early two barrel manifold.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Pretty work Jeff!!!!! Nice plan to work off too!

Wish I could draw up plans like that, I would like to have whittled up a aluminium MPFI manifold for a Stude V8 (and maybe one for an OHV170 too).

Comment

Calvin Lowell was making up adapters to put an Autolite 2bbl carb on a Champ 6. Some pic's are at: http://community.webshots.com/album/91238797eqIUTx/2 (WARNING! Some Cadillac content present. Be advised.)
        Tom was trying to put a 'progressive' 2bbl on his 232. I think that was an old Capri carb, or something. Tom said he would let me know when he gets his project up and running. Calvin's Autolite 2bbl Champ 6 engine and trans is up for sale right now....and cheap too! Calvin swapped engines and the 6 is collecting dust. Calvin can be reached at: oldcarfart@aol.com

I am going to Stephen Cade's a week from Saturday for our monthly SDC chapter meeting. I am going to see if I can scrounge an old 232 manifold to play with. I can get an autolite 2bbl carb gasket and make an adapter if anyone needs one.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Sonny

Neat as sneakers Jeffster! Looks pretty danged good. Keep us up on the road test will ya? One question, and mebbe Tom can answer this one, how close is the Webber base to the base on the "old" Ford Autolite, 2 barrel, in size? It looks pretty close. I'll bet that an old Ford two barrel or the Holley two barrel, would really wake up a Stude with that early two barrel manifold.

Sonny
        '61 Hawk
        '37 Coupe Express
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Pretty work Jeff!!!!! Nice plan to work off too!

Wish I could draw up plans like that, I would like to have whittled up a aluminium MPFI manifold for a Stude V8 (and maybe one for an OHV170 too).
          Various comments, 1) I had 15 years working with AutoCad as a toolmaker, the print was drawn for work with CNC. Jeff did a lot of math to make it work by hand.
          2) Jeff is taking a lot of chances working that close to aluminum chips with a dial caliper, there is a good chance a chip will get in rack & pinion and ruin it.
          3) the "OLD" Ford carbs I have are Strombergs, like 48s and 96s, they have three bolts. The Holly Weber is metric and about half a screw bigger than the Stude/Stromberg bolt holes. The best bet would be mill the original flat and drill and tap new holes.
          4) I know Holly Webers are available for a 240 CI engine, I just have to find one. and to make the throttle work, I've got to turn the carb sideways. No more hard left turns.

We got our electricity back last night, (New Year's Eve) after nine days without. Some ice storm.

Nice job of work, Jeff, I'm envious of your shop.

Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '60 Lark VI

Comment

Funny you should mention the calipers...
            I am somewhat fortunate that the company I used to work for had those calipers as part of their inventory, and I have 'several' of them. They used to be a Swiss fiberglass model, that was quite nice, and lasted a very long time in the truck parts industry. Then they went with these Chinese stainless steel calipers. I have had several of them 'fall apart' with repeated use. The screws would come out. And then they would not 'zero out' all the time. I think that might well be the chip syndrome. Having a very small workshop brings with it some risk, I guess. I had fun whipping the adapter up for you. Did another project today for a guy in California. A mess I can make.
            Glad you electricity is back on. I had several outages earlier this year of about a week at a time... Ugh...
            Jeff[8D]

Various comments, 1) I had 15 years working with AutoCad as a toolmaker, the print was drawn for work with CNC. Jeff did a lot of math to make it work by hand.
            2) Jeff is taking a lot of chances working that close to aluminum chips with a dial caliper, there is a good chance a chip will get in rack & pinion and ruin it.
            3) the "OLD" Ford carbs I have are Strombergs, like 48s and 96s, they have three bolts. The Holly Weber is metric and about half a screw bigger than the Stude/Stromberg bolt holes. The best bet would be mill the original flat and drill and tap new holes.
            4) I know Holly Webers are available for a 240 CI engine, I just have to find one. and to make the throttle work, I've got to turn the carb sideways. No more hard left turns.

We got our electricity back last night, (New Year's Eve) after nine days without. Some ice storm.
            Nice job of work, Jeff, I'm envious of your shop.
            Tom Bredehoft
            [/quote]

'61 Hawk
            '37 Coupe Express
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
            X