This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '60 Lark Station Wagon

Hi all...new to the forum, have a chance to buy a 1960 4dr Lark Wagon...one owner, v8 with hang on air...pretty solid body with very good glass and just a little rust in places...engine has a cracked block and interior is rough....what say ye?

EldoMike

I would say go for it.
    depending on the price
    I'd like one for myself
    John

Comment

Guess I should have mentioned, I can get the car for 300.00 and it has a title and is rolling!

Comment

Well, at 300, unless your interpretation of "a little rust" is more tolerant than most, I don't think you can go wrong. Since you're buying it with a cracked block, you know you've got that issue to address. Would you be seeking anothe Stude engine or a Brand X transplant? Stude V8 cores aren't hard to find and are usually something you can work with. They're quite a powerplant that's still taking some performance freaks by surprize. Take a look at <RacingStudebakers.com> if you need proof. [^]
        If you're on the west coast, I can help you with a Stude V8 to work with. I'm not a regular "vendor", I just try to keep such stuff from going to "waste".
        As a daily ride, that little Lark will be the source of constant comment and prove a real workhorse of a car to boot! [:0]
        Plenty of parts around to do what you have to to make it roadworthy and cute again. Keep us advised as to what you choose to do with this one!

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by EldoMike

Guess I should have mentioned, I can get the car for 300.00 and it has a title and is rolling!
          Welcome! Glad that ya found us Mike! You didn't mention it, but would the wagon be your first Studebaker? Where are you from?

Sounds like a good deal to me Mike! 'Course, I have the "disease" so it's kind of hard for me to be too objective. [] The only real rule I go by is "Is there any more room in the yard?"

As far as the car, look at the body first in the area at the lower, rear, bottom of the front fenders, ALL floors, rear tire well floor and the area around it, upper and lower rear doors and the seal area all the way around them. Look the entire bottom of the car over, body mounts in particular, it'll tell you a lot about the overall condition.

The hardest parts to find/get for that wagon are the rear seats, (if they're missing), the stainless trim around the back of the rear seats and cargo deck, and that heavy vinyl stuff they covered the back of the rear seat and cargo deck with. Ford used something similar, not the same but useable and you can get still it for a Ford.

I've seen good, used, running engines go for 300 bux, but in any event, the blocks are out there and still reasonable. I'm assuming that it's a 259, two barrel.

I think $300.00 is a real fine deal if the car has minor rust through, solid underneath, and all the "wagon specific" parts are there.

Once again, welcome to the forums, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about that wagon!

Sonny
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Thanks for the Welcome....
            Yes this would be my first Studebaker though I've always admired the Mark..
            I am located in NW Tn...and I would be probably be retaining the Stude engine....the car does have some rust issues at the points mentioned but the floorboards are solid...all the seats are present though it's missing a couple of door panels...all the outside trim is in place and in excellent condition...
            I probably would not be looking to do a full restore..just always liked the lines and would like to have a nice daily driver...

EldoMike

Comment

I think you have a good start and alot of good advice
              John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by EldoMike

Thanks for the Welcome....
                Yes this would be my first Studebaker though I've always admired the Mark..
                I am located in NW Tn...and I would be probably be retaining the Stude engine....the car does have some rust issues at the points mentioned but the floorboards are solid...all the seats are present though it's missing a couple of door panels...all the outside trim is in place and in excellent condition...
                I probably would not be looking to do a full restore..just always liked the lines and would like to have a nice daily driver...

EldoMike
                We're ALWAYS glad to see a new Studebaker man Mike! I'm also very glad that you've decided to stick with the Stude engine, it'll serve you very well as a daily driver. We're here to help and find stuff, just let us know what ya need.

I always loved the south, and TN is as beautiful as any of the states, (I spent a while in Memphis). I'd recommend that you look up the local chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club closest to ya Mike, I'm sure THAT is where you'll find the most help.

I know what you mean about the lines of the car, I love 'em, and have a '60 hard top. It sounds like you have a great car to start with, hope you decide to start!

Sonny
                Sonny
                http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
                X