X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to original

Now that I've outgrown the need for speed, I would like to return my
    60 Hawk back to a 3-speed W/OD. I have access to a Lark transmission,
    3 speed OD. My question is will this fit behind my 289? Are the pilot shafts the same? I have the Chevy pattern bellhousing from a 61 GT
    Hawk with a close ratio T-10, and a 9 in. ford rear end, 61 GT driveshaft. I know I will have to change the bellhousing back to the borg/warner pattern.
    Are the crossmembers interchangeable between the Lark and Hawk?
    Are the six and V8 clutches and pressure plates interchangeable?
    Or is there a long tail shaft case with the 4 speed bolt pattern that
    will accept the Stude pilot shaft? Sorry to appear so stupid, but the
    car has been in storage for the last 25 years, had to keep the wife
    out of it, 6 speeding tickets, all in 1st gear, insurance went through the roof. I still have the column set up and linkage and all the electrical, never throw anything away!!!
    I can buy the six engine and transmission as a package if anyone needs
    a engine of 60 up vintage.
    Another progect of mine is; what would be a automatic transmission to
    put behind a 259 V8 in a 59 Silver Hawk?? Would like a AOD type.
    Thanks for all the help so far, I've been a voeyer for sometime, now
    it's time to get it done right the first time.

Sounds like way more work than it's worth.
    The difference between a 3spd o/d and a 4 speed (as far as fast goes) is going to be minimal... Tickets will still find you.
    For the amount of work to swap everything over, you could just adjust the throttle linkage so the pedal only goes halfway down

Keep all your 4 speed stuff together. A complete setup can bring anywhere from $400 to $650, and if it is a real '61 setup, maybe a few dollars more.

Putting in an AOD is pretty straightforward.
    Buy a $375 (or so) adapter kit from John Myers ( spooky@1st.net ) and then get a $600 to $1100 rebuilt 700R4 (don't forget the $55 TV cable and adapter)...and build the rear crossmember and shorten the driveshaft, and fab the shift linkage. Not a bad swap.

The six engine will have an immediate market if the OHV head has no cracks in it. The rest will only get you a couple of dollars over scrap prices.

Hope that fills in a few holes. Feel free to ask away any old time.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 60 Hawk

Now that I've outgrown the need for speed, I would like to return my
    60 Hawk back to a 3-speed W/OD. I have access to a Lark transmission,
    3 speed OD. My question is will this fit behind my 289? Are the pilot shafts the same? I have the Chevy pattern bellhousing from a 61 GT
    Hawk with a close ratio T-10, and a 9 in. ford rear end, 61 GT driveshaft. I know I will have to change the bellhousing back to the borg/warner pattern.
    Are the crossmembers interchangeable between the Lark and Hawk?
    Are the six and V8 clutches and pressure plates interchangeable?
    Or is there a long tail shaft case with the 4 speed bolt pattern that
    will accept the Stude pilot shaft? Sorry to appear so stupid, but the
    car has been in storage for the last 25 years, had to keep the wife
    out of it, 6 speeding tickets, all in 1st gear, insurance went through the roof. I still have the column set up and linkage and all the electrical, never throw anything away!!!
    I can buy the six engine and transmission as a package if anyone needs
    a engine of 60 up vintage.
    Another progect of mine is; what would be a automatic transmission to
    put behind a 259 V8 in a 59 Silver Hawk?? Would like a AOD type.
    Thanks for all the help so far, I've been a voeyer for sometime, now
    it's time to get it done right the first time.
    DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
    '61 Hawk
    '37 Coupe Express
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I think I read it that you want to know if a LARK SIX tranny will go behind a V8 in a '60 Hawk, is that right? I mean, you mention that you can "buy the six engine and transmission as a package if anyone needs an engine of 60 up vintage".
      First - NO. The tranny from that 6 won't survive behind that 8. It's a lighter duty trans than what the 8s drove. Now if that Lark was an EIGHT - that tranny would be right at home in the Hawk.
      Also, 60 was the last year of the flathead 6. 1961 saw the debut of the OHV remake of the flathead. They WILL swap with a bit of modification to gas linkage and maybe a bit of firewall clearance given what year Stude we're talking.
      As Jeff intimated, the OHV engine head can be a valuable piece if it's not cracked - which they were prone to do. But the flathead Champion engines are just about "giveaway" items because there's a glut of them thanks to "upgrades" to more powerful motors.
      And as Jeff said also, the switch to a manual 3-spd O/D is not gonna inhibit the cars speedworthiness over the 4-speed much. Heh-heh... the retro-plant of that 6cylinder sure would tho!!!
      AOD would be nice, no doubt. But it requires some do-it-yourself engineering. It's a matter of what you feel confident tackling. Keep us informed of your course of choice!

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks guys, your're right it would be no gain. As I would never show the car[ she'd probably get excited and drip oil on the ground or something] it's just that it looks crude to have a 4-speed and column linkage at the same time. When you're young and you want to go to the drags you don't always think of everything. the reason the 4-speed was installed was the 3-speed cluster gear only lasted about two weeks, and that was with easy driving. maybe it was a lark tranny when I got it in 61. The transmission shop rebuilt it at least 5 times before I swapped from a wrecked 61 GT. Wish I had the GT back.
        Also I'd have to change the rear end gearing as it's too high for a OD transmission, a 9 in. f--d with 2.95:1 gears. But the gas milage is great with gas at $2.00 a gallon, around 25 mpg, I can live with.
        I sold most of my HP parts back in the early 70s, how stupid can one
        person get, and went back to a 2 barrel set up. Hope I can count on you to keep me straight on the 59 Hawk, I just want both safe to drive
        in todays traffic, too many projects ahead to end things stupidly.
        Thanks
        John E.
        59 Silver Hawk
        60 Hawk [called "BABY"]
        more than 1 Harley

Comment

If you're not concerned about originality why don't you just swap the column for a GT Hawk unit rather than worry about messing with the tranny? Sounds like you just don't like the appearance.

nate

--
          62 Daytona hartop
          64 Daytona convertible (in boxes)
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Nate, thats why I'm here. Perhaps I'm standing too close to the forest to see the trees. The 60s running fine, but I'm a little ashamed of the way I did things back then. When I only had one day a week to play, I tended to rush, put the rear end in on the side of the road about two hundred miles from home, and at four in the morning. So now I'm trying to clean up some of my hasty descissions
            from back then.
            The 59 was a parts car I just couldn't strip, it's an automatic/259.
            I had a 55 hardtop/ auto and never liked the way it ran. Thought about
            swapping columns between the 59 and 60, so the 59 would be a 3 speed
            instead of an automatic. Or getting input from people like you and the rest of the guys on here, I haven't worked on cars for the last twenty-five years, yuh mite say I is a little dumb bout dis stuff.
            I just figured any parts off the 60 could be maybee used on the 59.
            Thanks
            John

Comment

Working...
            X